2 Replies Latest reply on Feb 11, 2019 6:48 AM by Randy Demaree

Two data source compare

Randy Demaree

I have two different data sources that share a primary ID.  One shows the theoretical costs for a project prior to completion and the other shows the actual costs after receiving all invoices.  I'm trying to link the two to compare them on one nice sheet, but whenever I connect the two I am getting squared/cubed/higher exponential data.  It seems to be creating the cost for each cost of the other category.  How can I connect these two data sources and keep their information distinct from each other and still be able to compare them based off their ID?

Thanks,

Randy

• 1. Re: Two data source compare
          Jim Dehner

Hi Randy

some of that depends on the data source and the data structure within the source -

without seeing your twbx workbook and the data we can only take a best guess

How did you try to link the data?   Based on your post it sounds like you have data that represents a "Total Project Budget"  and detailed invoice data that tried to blend the data

A join would probably be better (only a guess) and then you would need to deal with the aggregation based on the data

Please post your twbx workbook for a better answer

Jim

If this posts assists in resolving the question, please mark it helpful or as the 'correct answer' if it resolves the question. This will help other users find the same answer/resolution.  Thank you.

• 2. Re: Two data source compare
            Randy Demaree

Unfortunately I cannot post any of the information in the workbook.  I was trying to Join the information, but it seemed to create too complex of a join which resulted in data being repeated.  The data from the databases is in such a way that a few different tables need to be connected to get helpful information about the project.  Then adding a connection from that database to the other which also is a few tables connected seems to cause multiplying data.