4 Replies Latest reply on Feb 11, 2019 7:34 AM by Joe Oppelt

clear a diagonal cell value

Tanvi T

Hi - I am a newbie to tableau.  In the example below I would like to clear the diagonal cells where the cat 1 and cat 2 overlap.

Any help is appreciated!! thanks!!

• 1. Re: clear a diagonal cell value
          Jim Dehner

first welcome to tableau and the forum  please see the link Getting Started in the Forums

it will outline how to get the most out of the forum - - one sure way is to always include your twbx workbook so we can see what you are doing - the data sources and the data

you can try adding a filter   [cat 1]<> [Cat 2]

it may work but that depends on the data structure

Jim

If this posts assists in resolving the question, please mark it helpful or as the 'correct answer' if it resolves the question. This will help other users find the same answer/resolution.  Thank you.

• 2. Re: clear a diagonal cell value
            Joe Oppelt

So much depends on what those marks are made with.

If they are SUM([something]), you could create a calc like this:

IF ATTR([Cat 1]) <> ATTR([Cat 2]) THEN SUM([Something]) END

Where they are equal, tableau will default the calc to null.

Display that calc in place of SUM([Something]) where you currently have it.

• 3. Re: clear a diagonal cell value
              Tanvi T

Hi Joe - this worked perfect but I see a problem based on what I have.

I have a grand total column which is actually maximum value of the row values. with setting the diagonal values to missing, the grand total no longer calculates, I am seeing all missing. Any suggestions?

the value is a sum(value).

grand total is set  as maximum value of row values

• 4. Re: clear a diagonal cell value
                Joe Oppelt

At this point I need to see an actual workbook.  I made my suggestion based on what I imagined things were.  I made a good guess.  Now there are too many factors to guess at.  I need to work with something concrete.