2 Replies Latest reply on Feb 7, 2019 11:42 AM by James Garcia

Football Passing Network

James Garcia

Hi Community,

I am trying to build a Football Passing Network in order to show the location of the players on the pitch and how many passes each one of them made between each player.

I tried to do it based on airplain routes but I can't get the lines to appear.

I have two Excel sheets that I joined together, one with the player name and location and one with a passing matrix and unique identifier which I created as calculation field.

Attached it the .twbx and the excel that I a using and also a screenshot of what my goal is.

I used Tableau version: 2018.3

Thanks in advance

• 1. Re: Football Passing Network
          Ravi Mistry

Hi James,

I love this stuff! The issue you're having is related to data structure:

The sort of structure you want is as shown above, where there are two lines per pass, to assign each node

Does this make sense?

• 2. Re: Football Passing Network
            James Garcia

Thanks Ravi Mistry for the quick response.

I am able now to see lines, however, this is not exactly what I want to achieve as I want to see how many time player X passes to Player Y and the other way around.

In this solution, I have only one line and not two.

As I will have 15+ players I can't use a pie chart to show it similar to the example you shared with me.

Any idea how the best to show it?

Thanks