5 Replies Latest reply on Feb 7, 2019 8:12 AM by Joe Oppelt

UPLOAD A SAMPLE WORKBOOK when you ask a question here

Joe Oppelt

Lately there has been far too many questions asked on this board where the first response is, "Can you upload a sample workbook?"

When you start a new thread, at the top of the edit box is this message:

To get a quick answer, be sure to include a packaged workbook with the Tableau version number identified in your post

That is there for a reason.  and the link in the middle of that message is a primer for how to make a packaged workbook.  Read the section titled "WHY?" in that link.

You are very familiar with your application and your terminology and your expectations, but people who want to help you are looking at your question without the intimate knowledge of your application that you have.

Sometimes to describe your question it takes so much descriptive detail that someone else (like me) gets lost in all the details.  But if you had a workbook attached to your question, you could say, "I want to take the grand total number for the second column and divide it by the total number of rows in my database..."  That is so much easier for someone looking to help you to drill into what you need to do.

Without a workbook, generally you'll end up having to give multiple follow-up explanations of what you really mean.

Today I have skipped over a dozen questions I'm sure I could have answered, but I don't have the patience or the time today to deal with the effort it would take to drill to the actual question.

If you cannot upload your actual workbook due to proprietary data, you can anonymize your data following the steps in the video linked here:

Video demonstrates how to anonymize your workbook/data

Or often you can replicate the same issue using the Superstore data that comes packaged with your Tableau installation.

Please help us help you.  Upload a sample workbook with your question.

Thank you.

• 1. Re: UPLOAD A SAMPLE WORKBOOK when you ask a question here
          Peter Fakan

Hi Joe,

Could the forum admins maybe change the text to words to the effect of;

To get a quick answer, or if this is your first post on the forums make sure you include a packaged workbook with the Tableau version number identified in your post

My gut feeling is that many of the forums users who aren't uploading workbooks are new posters, once they have been around for a while and are familiar with the way things operate they start uploading packaged workbooks.

Peter

• 2. Re: UPLOAD A SAMPLE WORKBOOK when you ask a question here
            Joe Oppelt

Peter -- I posted a pointer to your suggestion in a chat page with the Admins.

I just wonder who actually reads that message at all.  If it were up to me, I would force a two-step process for posting a question.  When the user clicks "start a discussion", an initial page would pop up saying "Your question will have a better chance of getting answered if you include a sample workbook."  (And a link to the page about packaged workbooks, as well as a link to anonymizing.)  And on that initial page would be "click here to continue" (which would then go to the normal screen to adding a question.)

Lately the number of threads lacking a workbook has been frustrating to me.

• 3. Re: UPLOAD A SAMPLE WORKBOOK when you ask a question here
              Peter Fakan

Hi Joe,

Agreed completely

I thought about it and deleted from my original post a sentence suggesting that a first time poster should be prevented by adding their very first post until they are forced to upload a workbook, but when I reflected on that I thought that would make it too difficult to get started.

Over to the admins !

Peter

• 4. Re: UPLOAD A SAMPLE WORKBOOK when you ask a question here
                patrick.byrne.0

Hello Peter Fakan and Joe Oppelt ,

Thank you for bringing this to the attention of the Tableau Community team! We love getting these suggestions and please keep them coming!

Patrick Van Der Hyde was able to implement some changes to the wording found at the top of a new discussion post.

The Community Forums team has also taken note of the additional feature request of a guided posting experience that would prompt the user to attach a workbook when they are creating a new discussion. This would take some more advanced customization of the "Start a New Discussion" process. The team is exploring options for adding this functionality, but I cannot currently comment on a timeline for implementation.

Thanks again for providing the feedback.

Cheers,

Byrne, Patrick

Community Manager

Tableau Software

• 5. Re: UPLOAD A SAMPLE WORKBOOK when you ask a question here
                  Joe Oppelt

Replying to this so that new members today will see it.