2 Replies Latest reply on Jan 31, 2019 1:55 PM by Peter Fakan

Trouble Exporting to Excel

Jenneffer Jahraus

Hello,

I have Tableau 2018.3.2 and have a huge Tableau table that I am trying to export to excel.

I am trying to show the average price of various items, per division, per month, by the origin city for a specific year.  As you can imagine, the table is extremely large. 

I have attempted to break it down into smaller pieces, by month and the wait time is still incredible or the file fails entirely.  What is the best way to export this quickly?

Any help is appreciated.

Thank you!

• 1. Re: Trouble Exporting to Excel
          ShivaRam Chennapragada

Hi,

I have been in such situation. Instead of exporting to Excel directly, could you Copy, open Excel and paste it? It worked for me. Although copying takes a bit depending on amount of data.

Go to Worksheet tab > Copy > Crosstab > Open Excel > Paste.

Hope this helps.

Best,

Shiva.

• 2. Re: Trouble Exporting to Excel
            Peter Fakan

Hi Jenneffer,

Just throwing this out there first - why not keep people in Tableau instead of going to excel ? Tableau also has the view full data function, and its faster to filter items in Tableau than it is in excel.

On the Data > data source > View data pane you can use the export all button to extract all data as a .csv - which you can open in excel

Alternatively, you can use the Worksheet > Export > Data or Crosstab to Excel menu option as well.

HTH

Peter