1 Reply Latest reply on Jan 31, 2019 11:06 AM by Jim Dehner

Visualizing Survey Data

Maggie Amaku

Hello!

I am analyzing survey data and I am very new to Tableau. Right now I am currently hitting a road block. I found an awesome video by Steven Wexler about how to set up your survey data and followed all those steps. He recommended putting demographic data in a separate excel sheet and having all your numerical and text data in a merged excel sheet along with a helper sheet that properly identifies the question id, the wording of the question and grouping of each question (check all that apply, likert scale, etc.). When I import all my data into tableau, I have a dimension labeled grouping, my demographic data the text response to each question. I can easily filter which particular question I want to look at by dropping the grouping dimension into the filter shelf and selecting the question.

The road block I am facing is that I can cut all my survey questions with the demographic data I have. However, when I want to dive a little deeper (i.e. comparing the number of people who did not apply for SNAP benefits with the number of people who said they were satisfied with their food access) I can't do so. I've tried the filter option when in the dashboard sheet and have had no success except for when I filter the data based off of zip code information.

I feel like there is probably a really simple fix to all of this but I am completely lost. Any help is greatly appreciated

Thanks,

Maggie

( I am working in the 2018.3.0 version)

• 1. Re: Visualizing Survey Data
          Jim Dehner

Hi Maggie

I looked at your file - nice work - I did note you did not have State anywhere in your data

You can download a Zip code file at Tiger/UScensus and it includes the geocoding for state as well

the bad news is it is a single national file - pretty large

Jim

If this posts assists in resolving the question, please mark it helpful or as the 'correct answer' if it resolves the question. This will help other users find the same answer/resolution.  Thank you.