1 Reply Latest reply on Feb 12, 2019 5:09 PM by patrick.byrne.0

Tableau Server: "Integrated Authentication failed" error. Please help!

susan.remondi

Edit to add the answer that worked for me -- For some reason, you need to publish the workbook with the credentials embedded. I'd been publishing the workbook, then in Tableau Server, editing the workbook and then entering / embedding the credentials. It only works if you publish the workbook with credentials embedded from the start.

--- Original Question: ---

I'm new to Tableau, so this might be something super easy, in which case, my apologies but thank you for your help.

I have a Tableau Desktop workbook, which connects to a MS SQL server for a data source. It totally works.

Importantly, the database uses SQL Server Authentication, not Windows authentication. Just as importantly, my company doesn't own the database - we partner with a 3rd party vendor. The only thing I have is the credentials to the server and the database name. I cannot change anything about it.

So, it works in Tableau Desktop, but when I publish my workbook to Tableau Server, I get the error

Unable to connect to Data Source:

[Microsoft][SQL Server Native Client 10.0][SQL Server]Login failed. The login is from an untrusted domain and cannot be used with Integrated authentication.

Integrated authentication failed.

I found this KB article, but it only addresses Windows Authentication, as well as requires changes to be made on the server side.

I have checked and the credentials are embedded. I have asked the 3rd party vendor to whitelist Tableau's IP address 10.250.146.42, which they have done.

What steps should I take? Is SQL server authentication just not possible on Tableau Server?

Thanks!