3 Replies Latest reply on Jan 29, 2019 8:14 PM by Prasanna R

How to pass null in URL action

Harpreet Singh

Hi Techies,

I have a requirement where i am passing multiple filters in URL action , if i select 1 filter i need to pass nulls in other filter.

Please let me know if we can achieve this in tableau 2018.1.3 version.

• 1. Re: How to pass null in URL action
          Prasanna R

Hi Harpreet,

You can pass NULL values in the URL as shown below.

<URL PATH>/Dashboard?ShipStatus=~~null~

To select NULL you need to pass it as ~~null~

Thanks

RP

*If this helps, then please mark it Helpful and Correct to close this thread

• 2. Re: How to pass null in URL action
            Harpreet Singh

Thanks for the reply, however adding ~~null~  with column will always pass null to this column.

Suppose i have A,B,C column if i select column A other B,C will be null in URL and like if i select B then A,C will be null likewise in URL.

• 3. Re: How to pass null in URL action
              Prasanna R

So if you want to have only one filter at a time and the other two to be NULL then you need to build URL calculated fields and pass them as an action from your dashboard.

This is just a rough sketch to give you an idea.

Note - So i manipulated the data to get some NULLs in each of the filters.

You have your above dashboard, and you want to select Filter A - so Filters B and C should be NULL. In this case what you do is create 4 Calculated fields - these are going to be just Text (no calculations)

3 Null passing calculated fields to the 3 filters. Take extra care to type in the filter name as it is in the dashboard else this will fail.

4th calculated field is to type in the dashboard path until the '?'

Now set up the 3 sheets for Filter selection. If the user selects Filter A then B and C should be null. So place the respective Calculated fields in the Detail Mark as shown below along with the Dashboard URL. Do the same for the rest of the Sheets B & C.

The last step is to set up the Action URL

Select the Sheet A (you can keep the action as Hover, select or Menu - your choice). In the URL you can choose fields from the arrow beside the text box. Make sure the Dashboard URL is always in the beginning and then followed by NULL fields. Make sure you place '&' between the fields as highlighted.

Note: when you enter NewCategory= it shows all the options.

Best Regards

RP

*If this helps, then please mark it Helpful and Correct to close this thread

1 of 1 people found this helpful