2 Replies Latest reply on Jan 30, 2019 4:05 AM by rai ahmad

Frustrated with calculated field

rai ahmad

Every time I select a calculated field function using Tab, Tableau replaces the current function with the new one. Let me explain what I mean exactly:

Let's say I am fixing up a string entity and I type following functions in the calculated field window:

MID([String],FIND([String]," "))

Assume I now want to trim this entity. To do so I type TRIM before MID. Now Tableau would replace MID with TRIM which is not I want. I just want to add an additional function. I find it extremely frustrating, I am sure I am not the only one.

Does anyone know if it’s possible to disable this over-writing feature?

• 1. Re: Frustrated with calculated field
          Jim Dehner

I feel your pain - I have made a habit of putting a few spaces in between what I am adding and the calculations that was there

Annoying yes but easily overcome

Jim

If this posts assists in resolving the question, please mark it helpful or as the 'correct answer' if it resolves the question. This will help other users find the same answer/resolution.  Thank you.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Frustrated with calculated field
            rai ahmad

Thank you for your reply!

Unfortunately, like many other things in Tableau, this also requires a workaround  .

TBH I am getting a little tired of having to deploy workarounds arrrhhhhh.