6 Replies Latest reply on Feb 7, 2019 3:06 AM by Jim Dehner

How are Filter and Parameter updates applied across stories, dashboard and worksheets? which ones are bidirectional?

Craig Mullins

Related specifically to the interaction of Stories>Dashboards>Worksheets:

Does anyone have a matrix or cheatsheet explaining the functionality of Filter and Parameter Story updates:

• how they are applied across stories, dashboard and worksheets
      • are  Filter and Parameter update bidirectional?
        • are filters changes passed up and/or down
      • do filter changes at the story level update the related dashboard and worksheet
      • at what level are updates held?
        • 1. Re: How are Filter and Parameter updates across stories, dashboard and worksheets?
          Diego Parker

Hi Craig,

I believe the best thing you can look at is the "order of operations". Check it here.

Different types of filters and different calculations are applied in different times. It is an important topic that is usually overlooked, so I recommend you to read about it properly. It will be particularly important when using LOD's and Table Calculations. If you have any specific question do not hesitate on asking as I'm currently studying the topic at the Data School.

Hope this helps. If does please mark it as helpful so other users can find the answer.

Best,

Diego

• 2. Re: How are Filter and Parameter updates across stories, dashboard and worksheets?
            Craig Mullins

my question is not related to calculations and order of operations.

but the interaction of filters used at the story level.

but thanks for the response

• 3. Re: How are Filter and Parameter updates applied across stories, dashboard and worksheets? which ones are bidirectional?
              Jim Dehner

Hi Craig

Parameters are global ad affect the entire book (they dont do anything by themselves but need to be used in a filter or calculations - can be used in different filters or calculations on different sheets)

Filters are worksheet specific but can be passed from one sheet to another with an action or by directly applying to sheets or all using the source

On Stories - filters will only affect the one frame - filters or actions are NOT passed from one frame to another in a story

Jim

If this posts assists in resolving the question, please mark it helpful or as the 'correct answer' if it resolves the question. This will help other users find the same answer/resolution.  Thank you.

• 4. Re: How are Filter and Parameter updates applied across stories, dashboard and worksheets? which ones are bidirectional?
                Peter Fakan

Hi Craig,

I've pasted in the reference from our internal induction brief where it talks about stories.

What I think you are wanting to know is why do stories work the way they do ? Because Tableau is a product that is used for private purposes, the story facility is for people who want to pursue their agenda - you know by 'bending' the statistics so that it shows their point. Want to show that smoking is bad, whales are dying, you are the best staffmember in your team etc ? Stories are your biggest bestest friend !

You can roll your audience through a heap of supporting statistics that you have curated already so that they show your point. You can even show the same dashboard several times but with different things selected inside the same story instance !

Notwithstanding the above, of course stories are still hugely dynamic - once you are in the room with your boss showing him/her how good at flipping shapes you are, you still need to be cautious because all of the interactivity of a dashboard is still right there inside the story.

What happens behind the scenes is when a dashboard or a sheet is put into a story, it 'locks' it into the instance its set at for the purpose of the story, even if the underlying sheet or dashboard is subsequently changed it will retain its instance setting until changed.

HTH

Peter

• 5. Re: How are Filter and Parameter updates applied across stories, dashboard and worksheets? which ones are bidirectional?
                  Craig Mullins

thanks, please confirm my understanding:

my clarification ONLY relates to the interaction of filters as filters function, up and down, through stories, dashboards, and worksheets.

by way of example:

Stories are comprised of

>Dashboards (DB), and/or

>Worksheets (WS) with their related filters/parameters

filter (and filters via a parameter) edits at the Story level

• do NOT pass down through their related dashboard and or worksheets.
                  • filter edits apply at the story level only (not vertically to utilized DBs/WSs), and
                  • filter edits apply to only the specific story view page, (not horizontally to other pages in the story)

however, filter edits at the dashboard and/or worksheet level

• will be reflected back up into any and all story pages that use this dashboard and/or worksheet, and
                  • edits at the DB/WS level will also override story level filters and be reflected back up through the story level

is this correct?

thanks