13 Replies Latest reply on Jan 25, 2019 6:04 AM by Mahfooj Khan

Error in Geomap

KHARANSU RATH

Hi all,

I have provided the latitude and longitude of some of the Regions of Mumbai (a state in India) but while loading into tableau and showing in map, it doesn't recognize the longitudes.

How can resolve it?

Screenshot (299).png

Regards,

Kharansu

• 1. Re: Error in Geomap
          Zhouyi Zhang

Hi, Kharansu

Can you provide your sample data or workbook?

ZZ

• 2. Re: Error in Geomap
            KHARANSU RATH

Hi Zhang,

Thank you for replying.

Well, the previous data was confidential, so I have narrowed it down but now 'am not getting any issues with the longitude but still all 'am getting is a point on the map instead of pack of regions.

(Note - before the data contained 70424 records but now 50)

1. Kindly explain why was I getting the previous issue.

2. Please resolve the recent issue.

Thanks,

Kharansu

• 3. Re: Error in Geomap
              Mahfooj Khan

Hi,

I think all you need to do is assign the geographic roles to your longitude and latitude measures like this. Once done then drag the lat-long in canvas and use AVG() aggregate on them. I hope this will fix the issue. Else share some sample mock up in a workbook as @ZZ has mentioned.

Mahfooj

• 4. Re: Error in Geomap
                Zhouyi Zhang

Hi, Karansu

I think your state value should be one of the standardized name as shown from the list so that tableau could recognize and generate polygon as you expected.

ZZ

• 5. Re: Error in Geomap
                  KHARANSU RATH

Hi Mafooj,

Thank you replying.

I have attached the mock up data in the reply mail. Kindly find the attachment.

More over, I want to show the places in the regions (south mumbai, west mumbai, central mumbai etc. as a heat map), so that I can select the places and drill down to next level of selection.

Thnaks,

Kharansu

• 6. Re: Error in Geomap
                    Mahfooj Khan

Hi,

Are you expecting something like this?

Let me know then I'll explain.

Mahfooj

• 7. Re: Error in Geomap
                      KHARANSU RATH

Hi Zhang,

Thank you for the suggestion but I am looking for bit deeper operation than that.

In tableau the least granularity it comes to is the city level. eg. Mumbai is a city in the state Maharashtra but I am going further to show the regions of Mumbai (south mumbai, west mumbai, central mumbai etc. as a heat map), so that I can select the places and drill down to next level of selection.

Thanks,

Kharansu

• 8. Re: Error in Geomap
                        KHARANSU RATH

Yes Mafooj. This is exactly what I am looking for. Kindly share the process.

• 9. Re: Error in Geomap
                          Mahfooj Khan

Thanks for the confirmation.

Here we go,

First thing you need to understand the territory hierarchies of our Country and roles for each one. In our country demarcation of territory fields are Country>States>Districts/Cities>Postal Codes>Streets>Ward etc like that. So, when we've any of these information in our source data then we've maintain the domain like State information should be in State/Province field only or District/city should be in the same field. So that when we connect the source in tableau, field can be assign to respected geographical roles accordingly. If not then we've to manually set the roles.

In your case what I observed from your sample source there is a field called State. When I saw the underlying value of State it is showing Mumbai Total . First neither its a state nor city name. In the field State values should be Maharashtra and there should be a different field for City having value Mumbai only. Once you have these territory details in your source. Then it'll be very easy for your visualize these information in tableau.

Another point I wants to clear about the co-ordinates (Latitude and Longitude) can only represent as a dot in a map for drawing a polygon which area of that particular location you have to have GIS spatial data, spatial (.shp) data is nothing but collection of latitude and longitude of that location. So with co-ordinates you can only have dot plot on map. For filled map you should have proper territory details like State/District ect. City will be represented as dot only.

I hope you have brief idea about mapping

Now come to your expected view.

First thing what I did

I created a field called District using below logic. I'll not recommend this in your original source. You have to standardize your field values properly before coming to tableau. Its important, so that field values can be searched easily in google map to draw the polygons.

TRIM(REPLACE([State],"Total",""))

Then I have set the geo-role of District as County.

Once done then I've used dual axis on your co-ordinates to draw filled map for district and overlay Mini Regions as dots

Then little formatting and you'll get your expected view. Workbook attached for your reference. Let us know if this help.

Mahfooj

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                          • 10. Re: Error in Geomap
                            amar savale

Hi,

Please find the below attachment if it is working then marked as correct  or helpful.

Thanks,

Amar D. Savale

• 11. Re: Error in Geomap
                              KHARANSU RATH

Hi Mafooj,

Thank you so much for the solution. It modified the my thought process for designs.

There are few things I want to mention. The mockup data I provided was a part of data from the client, for confidentiality I picked up only those fields which were needed from the whole data and the latitude and longitude was not provided, I searched it from Google and put it there.

Again please rectify me if I am wrong.

So according to you, we can not portray the map as a heat map by using lat and long, right?

More over can you explain more about the spatial data? (it will be helpful if you can attach a sample dashboard for that)

My whole moto to stretch this discussion was to get a solution where I could show a heat map for different parts (like south mumbai, central mumbai etc) in the map, further selection of which would lead you to the relative dashboards.

Kindly suggest me if you have some other solutions.

Thanks & Regards,

KHARANSU

• 12. Re: Error in Geomap
                                KHARANSU RATH

Hi Amar,

Thank you for the solution but this was the point where I started.

• 13. Re: Error in Geomap
                                  Mahfooj Khan

1. Yes! We can't create a filled map from co-ordinates (latitudes and longitudes).

2. You can find several sample dashboard in public gallery on spatial maps. However to begin with I'd recommend to follow these kb articles. Go through these thoroughly, I hope you'll get fair idea from these articles.

Spatial File - Tableau

Create Tableau Maps from Spatial Files - Tableau