2 Replies Latest reply on Feb 14, 2019 9:40 AM by Srinidhi Narayan

Maximum number of data source types on Tableau Server

stephen.slotter.0

I am hoping that someone can help to clarify the maximum number of data source types that can be used simultaneously in Tableau Server?

For example, we have teams that would be publishing Excel, Microsoft SQL Server, Google Sheets, Json, Oracle database, and SharePoint Lists based data sources with live connections and of course a few .hyper extracts as well. There is debate among our teams as to the maximum number of data source types that can be used within Tableau Server (published to the server and used within projects and sites) verses the limit on the number of data source types that can be used if we wanted to embed a visualization into an external website.

It is our understanding that there is a limit to the number of data source when embedding in external websites (max. 5 if my memory holds), however, is this limit true for using different data source types only in the Tableau Server environment?

Any clarification regarding the data source limits when using Tableau Server only vs. when embedding visualizations, would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for the help!

P.S. we are running a server core based license if that makes a difference.

• 1. Re: Maximum number of data source types on Tableau Server
          Patrick Van Der Hyde

Hello Stephen,

There are no limitations to number of data sources (we have servers with thousands here at Tableau).  The use of a high number of data sources may result in slow behavior based on the size of the data, the type (live vs extract), the joins or cross data source joins, etc.. 

If you are experiencing issues with performance and have followed suggestions for designing dashboards for the best performance - 6 Tips to Increase Dashboard Performance  - then please reach out to Tableau Support for additional assistance.

Regards

Patrick 

• 2. Re: Maximum number of data source types on Tableau Server
            Srinidhi Narayan

Patrick - The OP suggests that they have a server core based license.  In that case your assertion is accurate. 

The OP may be mixing this with the Tableau for Embedded applications, which is a different licensing model.  In that scenario - there will be a limit to the number of data connectors used.  That is a licensing limit as opposed to a performance constraint.  I'd also like to distinguish data connectors, from data sources.  You can still have as many data sources as you need, but the Embedded Analytics Pricing for Tableau limits the number of data connectors used. 

Stephen - I hope this clears up any confusion.  If there are still questions, I'd recommend connecting with your respective Tableau Sales Account Manager to clarify.