5 Replies Latest reply on Jan 10, 2019 5:54 PM by Ken Flerlage

Capacity of Tableau server for interactive users

Nirav Upadhyay

Hello Experts,

At work I have Single server 8 Core environment. We are planning to add around 4000 new users. Right now we are at 900 total users.

My question is, is it possible to have 4000 users on a single 8 core tableau server?

I was reading it online in community and saw somewhere that with single server 8 core it is advisable to have 50 to 112 concurrent user at time? Is it true?

Is concurrent users are different than Active users?

Any answer would be appreciate.

Thanks

• 1. Re: Capacity of Tableau server for interactive users
          Ken Flerlage

I think you can probably break down users into multiple categories:

1) All Users - Anyone with an account on Tableau Server.

2) Active Users - Anyone who actively uses Tableau Server.

3) Concurrent Users - Number of people who use Tableau Server at the same time. This changes throughout the month/week/day, of course.

Full disclosure, I'm not a Tableau Server expert, but I think that concurrent users are the most important metric. So you'll probably want to get an idea of the number of concurrent users during normal times as well as the number of concurrent users during peak times. Do you have any idea what those numbers are?

• 2. Re: Capacity of Tableau server for interactive users
            Chris McClellan

The actual answer is "it depends"

It depends on ...

- how many concurrent sessions (as you & Ken have mentioned)

- how "hard" are the users hitting the server

- how complex are your workbooks

- how many different workbooks you have

and more technically ...

- how much RAM on the server

- how much disk space

- how fast are the CPUs

- data is live connection or extracts

- network latency between database server and tableau server

And it all boils down to ...

- what is the acceptable response time when a user opens a workbook, navigates dashboards, changes a filter or parameter ?

Almost 5000 users on an 8 core sounds like a LOT!,  but if they are spread around the world and have light usage on Tableau throughout the day and dashboards aren't really complex it "might" be OK.

From memory there is documentation that Tableau can provide as a guide, but you use things like TabJolt to test it.  Spin up a non-prod instance of your Tableau Server and see how it performs when you have 10, 100, 500, 1000 users working simultaneously.  Based on those results you can get the answer you're after

1 of 1 people found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Capacity of Tableau server for interactive users
              Ken Flerlage

Much better answer than mine!

• 4. Re: Capacity of Tableau server for interactive users
                Chris McClellan

It's just experience    I've done this with 2 big clients over the years.  One I said that they could stay on 8 core for a very long time.  One I said they could "probably" stay on 8 core for the next 12 months then they might need to upgrade.  They presented at a local TUG about 14 months later saying they were really starting to see the slow-down in their 8 core and were considering going to 16 core (that's a big investment!!).

It's not a perfect science, because things like "dashboard complexity" can change very quickly.  But TabJolt can help as well

• 5. Re: Capacity of Tableau server for interactive users
                  Ken Flerlage

I'm actually in the middle of something similar right now at work. Spent all day working with TabJolt. It was a blast!!