2 Replies Latest reply on Aug 20, 2019 10:59 AM by Jacob Roth

Athena Connector with SSO

Amit Narkar

We have SSO enabled for Amazon AWS. I would like to connect to Athena in Tableau Desktop without manually entering Access Key and Secret Key.

I could find post suggesting use of properties file but with no luck from my end.

Amazon Athena - Tableau

Customize JDBC Connections Using a Properties File

Customize JDBC Connections Using a Properties File

Using Athena with the JDBC Driver - Amazon Athena

I am able to connect to Athena when I am providing Access Key and Secret Key.

I need to bypass this process when using SSO. As per above posts I created athena.properties file with various key value pairs.

e.g

User=ABCDEFGHIJKL

UID=ABCDEFGHIJKL

Password=1234ASDFGH

PWD=1234ASDFGH

accessKey=ABCDEFGHIJKL

secretKey=1234ASDFGH

But I don't see fields populated on further launch of Tableau Desktop. I am using Tableau Athena connector not (other JDBC) connector option.

Is there any other way to deal with SSO on Tableau Desktop and Tableau Server

• 1. Re: Athena Connector with SSO
          patrick.byrne.0

Hello Amit,

If you are trying to leverage the ODBC connection to Athena. The connection can be modified with a .tdc file.

More information on available customizations can be found: Customize and Tune ODBC Connections - Tableau

Hope this helps!

Cheers,

Byrne, Patrick

Community Manager

Tableau Software

• 2. Re: Athena Connector with SSO
            Jacob Roth

I have the exact same issue.  If making the JDBC driver wont work, is there another options?    I am not using ODBC.

I downloaded the AthenaJDBC.jar file and put it here.   C:\Program Files\Tableau\Drivers  I even tried to rename it to awsathena to match the url string.

I created the athena.properties with the these fields

S3OutputLocation=

AwsCredentialsProviderClass=com.simba.athena.iamsupport.plugin.AdfsCredentialsProvider

idp_host=

idp_port=

preferred_role=

LogLevel=5

I don not have an access key or secret access key since we are federated.

So far neither the Athena Source or the Other JDBC source works