4 Replies Latest reply on Jan 2, 2019 8:01 AM by Kelvin Nguyen

Create an Extract from another Extract

Kelvin Nguyen

Hi guys,

I'm having a little of an issue here when I have an extract of data over 2 years.

I'm loading data incrementally based on Time dimension that has down to months. However, sometimes, the data at the source changes. For example I'm having data from 2017 Jan up to 2018 Dec and now some data has change for November 2018. is there any way that I can delete the data for November and reload that piece of data again? or anyway that I can create an extract (out of the current extract) that has data from 2017 Jan to 2018 Oct and I will do an incremental load for 2018 Nov?

Thanks in advance guys!

• 1. Re: Create an Extract from another Extract
          Jeff Strauss

Hi Kelvin.  The only way to extract data is to do full refresh of all the included data in the extract, or incrementally pickup where you left off.  This being said, there are scripting workarounds to do what you need.  What you have to do is save a create an initial version of the extract up through the date that the data is static (i.e. October 2018).  We term this the "immutable extract" because it doesn't change, but rather acts as the starting point.  Then each time that you need to refresh the data through current, you can take this "immutable", publish it as the "incremental" extract, and then run an incremental refresh on this data.  The net effect is that you are starting the refresh as of the end of the immutable, and you capture all the up to date data.  And then all your reports point at the "incremental" extract.  Does this make sense?  There's a real old thread that goes over the concept in a little more detail here, and most of it still applies.  Refreshing Large Extracts Faster  

• 2. Re: Create an Extract from another Extract
            Kelvin Nguyen

hey Jeff Strauss

Good stuff! Thank you so much!

Could you please elaborate a little bit more here:

"What you have to do is save a create an initial version of the extract up through the date that the data is static (i.e. October 2018)."

How do I do this actually?

• 3. Re: Create an Extract from another Extract
              Jeff Strauss

Sure.  The way we do this is by setting a filter "Extract inclusion filter" to true.  And the first time we run it, we set the parameter "ExtractType" to "F" and the parameter "CutOffDate" up through the point of static data.  Upon publishing it each night as the incremental version (as the starting point), we change the parameter value "ExtractType" to "I".

• 4. Re: Create an Extract from another Extract
                Kelvin Nguyen

hey Jeff, this is awesome. I have not had a chance to try this now but I'll do it first thing tomorrow when I get to office. I think it will work. Thanks a lot!