5 Replies Latest reply on Dec 31, 2018 10:42 AM by Michael Hesser

How do you use your Community profile?

Richa Maheshwari

Hello Tableau enthusiasts,

I see that the Tableau community platform has levels and badges. I am a new-bee here and want to know the potential of building a solid profile here.

So, what do you do? How do you ensure being active on this platform?

What are the thumb rules for posting a question to ensure it is quickly noticed and perfectly conveyed to the reader?

Do you mention about your profile on Tableau Community in your LinkedIn, GitHub or resume?

Cheers,

Richa.

• 1. Re: How do you use your Community profile?
          Mahfooj Khan

Hi Richa,

First of all, welcome to the community! Community is the best place for learning. This is my personal experience.

Yes you're correct there are 15 levels starts from Vizitor to Data Monarch which is the highest level so far. Based on your earned points it will get added to your profile. Visit your profile and see the activity/missions you'll get to know about the badges.

For quick info about forum guidelines you can follow the link mentioned below.

Getting Started in the Forums

Yes! you can mention your contribution and achievement in your profiles.

Mahfooj

• 2. Re: How do you use your Community profile?
            Richa Maheshwari

Hi Mahfooj,

I see you have built an impressive profile. Kudos to that!

1. How do you ensure being active on this platform?
            2. What are the thumb rules for posting a question to ensure it is quickly noticed and perfectly conveyed to the reader?

Thanks,

Richa.

• 3. Re: How do you use your Community profile?
              Mahfooj Khan

Thanks for your kind words!

Being active in forum is required lot of dedication and commitment. You have to fetch some time (whenever you get time) from your daily life to help others in forum. Meanwhile you've to more focus on your other/office works. I personally stopped wasting time on social media since joining forum. I try to be active whenever get some spare time. I spend time here just to learn from all the community members, that's only reason I'm here!

Follow the below docs which will explain how to post a question.

Posting a Perfect Question

Packaged workbooks and flows: when, why, how

Hope this will help.

Mahfooj

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              • 4. Re: How do you use your Community profile?
                Toby Erkson

First, read the welcome email sent to you when you joined these forums.

Second, make sure you go to the Resources >> Get Started in the Forums location...

...and read all of these documents:

Some of the information may be repeated but it's just reinforcement of what we really need and would like to see here.  I would recommend reading this document as well since you will likely reply to some threads through your Interactions (a.k.a. Inbox):  Why don't I have the option to attach content to a Reply?  Where's the Correct Answer button?

Third, just as Mahfooj said, try to spend time in the forums and read the posts that have been answered so you can see how it was answered.  Some posts may have a definitive answer while some may be Assumed Answered, meaning there may have been more than one post that contributed to the answer or the issue was solved but no real details about how it was exactly done (in other words, Assumed Answered is hit-or-miss).

Fourth, play around with Tableau and don't be afraid to make mistakes as it's still a great and valid way to learn!  There are many blogs and videos about using Tableau so go look around the internet as well as the Tableau web site.

Fifth and Finally, once you are more confident with your skills you can try to help answer questions others post here in the forums!  By helping others to solve their Tableau problems you reinforce what you know and pass on that knowledge.  It's asking the right questions and being able to clearly explain what you did.  You don't want to simply solve the issue and give the person a finished workbook, you want to be able to walk them through the steps and show what was done so they can understand how to do it themselves.  You need to become a teacher, not a "gun for hire".  And all of this should be done in the forums so others can learn and contribute from it.

The goal is to learn and to help others, not simply get points and badges. Those are meant to make being here fun and show accomplishments; they don't mean anything when it comes to a job interview.  It is fairly easy to see who is here to help versus who is here just for the glory (i.e. get points) as the latter simply point to pages in the documentation or who provide replies that are not helpful or vague or repeat what someone has already stated.  You will find that helping others with good, quality answers will get you points faster than simply trying to bang out as many replies as possible in hopes one of them may be correct or helpful.  It's the good replies that get Likes and Helpful

Richa Maheshwari wrote:

Do you mention about your profile on Tableau Community in your LinkedIn, GitHub or resume?

No.  I see no reason to plus I don't see how it would be helpful to someone, particularly if they don't spend time here.  Same goes for blogs, Twitter, and other social media.  The exception to the social media items that I can think of would be for those who are using such venues because they're self-employed.  However, there is one tool that someone could use that may be helpful and that is Tableau Public.  That is a public location where one can present their Tableau Desktop work, their skills, in a public arena for others to view.  That may be helpful to show a potential employer what you can do.  Would I say having a Tableau Public account is mandatory?  Heck no!  But it wouldn't be a bad thing either

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                • 5. Re: How do you use your Community profile?
                  Michael Hesser

Welcome aboard, Richa!

Mahfooj Khan and Toby Erkson have given you some excellent links... check those out as you begin your Tableau Community journey.

I can't express enough how beneficial the Tableau Community have been to me: by "reverse engineering" answers, and eventually working to answer question myself, I've learned more than just the functionality of Tableau, but about the art and craft of best practices. You'll be on your way shortly, too!

I'm confident you'll find these to be an incredibly cooperative, positive community. so if you goof up a little, someone will likely ask "Hey-- can you attach an anonymous TWBX?" or something like that

Have fun on your journey!

(and by the way-- you may not realize it now, but Mahfooj and Toby are pretty much legends around here! Way to go! )

--Michael

2 of 2 people found this helpful