1 Reply Latest reply on Dec 28, 2018 8:59 AM by Andrew Bickert

Monthly and daily aggregation

Albert Alaluf

Hello everybody,

I have several questions about the project I'm working.

The requirements are;

4 years report, monthly aggregated

4 years report, daily aggregated

2 years report, monthly aggregated

All they use same tables, similar or different metrics, means common or different formulas

I started with the first report, wrote all queries in SQL, aggregated in the server side, wrote the additional formulas, finished the work and duplicated the work into another tableau file.

The second and third report, I just changed the aggregation methods in the query, added additional formulas,

Combined all these three files into one Tableau file, job done.

At the end of the day, I have multiple dashboards, using these three different datasets.

Looking for the file size, it is very small, I do not have any issue with this. Extracting the data is taking a little bit longer, around an hour, most likely is spending time with the database server to aggregate. It is not a very big deal, it will run once a day, however unnecessary job to make the work 3 times.

My first question is how to optimize this work? All is working thru extract perfect, however, the formulas, are duplicated per the nature of the design.

Every metrics in its own set used as ATTR, to go from daily to monthly, I just changed to SUM, this gave me a nice flexibility.

I also like to hear your suggestions to name the formulas correlated with the dataset(s).

The work now completed, rushed a little bit. But I'm not very comfortable with the complexity. I like to make it simple.

Thanks in advance for your suggestion

A happy new year and merry Xmas.

• 1. Re: Monthly and daily aggregation
          Andrew Bickert

Hi Albert,

It is an interesting question. We have ran into similar situations where we are essentially make the same report over and over for slightly different aggregations. We never had to make multiple data sources though as we used Level of Detail expressions along with Dynamic Filtered ranges per sheet to show all the data on one dashboard with different date ranges/metrics. IE: on one dashboard, we have a rolling 3 year average compared to the last 6 weeks rolling and then also have a Year To Date on the same dashboard. Not sure if this is entirely similar but I do agree to simplify and not have excess extracts running is the way to go.

Andrew