2 Replies Latest reply on Dec 30, 2018 7:37 PM by Richa Maheshwari

How to show the sum of a quarter or a year?

Richa Maheshwari

Hello,

I want to have the flexibility to present a data in terms of month-on-month, quarter-on-quarter and year-on-year. When i do that, i want to see the sum of a quarter over another quarter and likewise for a year.

However, when i click on the quarter filter, i see the numbers for the quarter according to their respective months. How can i show the summation of the three months according to quarters and 12 months according to years?

For example,

April - 1

May - 4

June - 9

Total for the quarter is 14.  When i click on quarter filter and choose a quarter i want to be able to see the total number and not the breakdown.

In the packaged workbook attached to this post, I am using the superstore data and trying to show profit by segment.

I am not sure how to approach this problem. Can anyone help me here?

Thank you.

• 1. Re: How to show the sum of a quarter or a year?
          Rodrigo Calloni

Hello Richa

I was able to show the sum of profit by Quarter by adding a Reference line to the Pane level. As every pane represents a Quarter then Tableau aggregates the months together to get the value.

The steps are:

1- Go to the Analytics tab and drag a reference line over the Pane square that shows when you click on the reference line icon

2- Replace Average with Total for your aggregation

3- On Label pick the Value for the measure.

You should be done by then.

Attached the workbook with this solution.

I hope this helps

Rodrigo

• 2. Re: How to show the sum of a quarter or a year?
            Richa Maheshwari

Hi Rodrigo,

That's a nice tip, thanks for sharing.

However, it works for either quarter when i use quarter in my order date hierarchy or year when i use year in my order date hierarchy. Never for both since it is on pane selection. I tried table selection and that resulted in the sum of the entire data.

Can you help me focussing on quarter when quarter is selected and year when year is selected?

Best,

Richa.