5 Replies Latest reply on Dec 27, 2018 7:24 AM by Zach Anderson

Total # of records used in box-and-whisker plot?

Zach Anderson

Hullo,

I have a dataset with 150 records that looks something like the following:

Response Number, Year, Question1

My box-and-whisker looks like this:

box-and-whisker.png

I would like to put in the Caption the total number of records used to generate all three plots. I know in this case there are 150 records which is confirmed by Tableau in the bottom left corner where it says "149 marks" (since there's also 1 null in there).

If I use this same dataset for a line graph I am able to achieve what I desire (see the big "150" in the top right: as you adjust the "Response Number" Filter that number goes down accordingly) by putting the total number of records in the caption via a Calculated Field using the formula

TOTAL(SUM([Number of Records]))

line.png

Since my users have requested a number of filters (which I have provided) I want to be sure I can show them that big bold total # of records shown so that they're highly cognizant of how small the sample sizes are getting as they apply filters: as you adjust the filters that count of total records gets reduced accordingly.

Even though this works for the line graph I am having difficulty recreating this for the box-and-whisker plot. Instead, the box-and-whisker plot spits out "1" (see the first screenshot I attached) from that same calculated field no matter how the Filters are set.

Thanks in advance,

-Zach