5 Replies Latest reply on Jan 17, 2019 1:27 PM by Jim Dehner

Filter to Parameter

Raj Cheruvu

Can a filter be connected to a parameter?  I am trying to save space on my dashboard by having line charts "sit" on top of one another and have a parameter flip between the line charts on the dashboard.  I then am trying to have global filters adjust the line charts to match the criteria they are filtered on plus adjust the other elements on the dashboard - bullet charts and bar charts - all at the same time.  Can this be done?

• 1. Re: Filter to Parameter
          Melanie Young

Hi Raj,

I was able to do this by following the info here:

Create a Sheet Selector for a Dashboard - Tableau

Hope this helps!

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Filter to Parameter
            Raj Cheruvu

Thanks... can I include a dashboard action that filters the parameter on the second sheet if I click a bullet in the first dashboard?

The first dashboard has 10 bullet charts.  I have a second dashboard that uses the parameter to show these bullet charts from a different data perspective.  On the second dashboard, below the bar chart is a cross tab that has to be filtered on.  When I click a bullet on the first sheet, I need it to filter the parameter to the correct bullet values and the correct cross tab.  I also need the parameter on the second sheet in case anyone wants to view another metric without going  back.  This was assigned by my supervisor.  Any ideas?

• 3. Re: Filter to Parameter
              Jim Dehner

Hi

Parameters are static values that are set by the user and are global - they are the same throughout the entire workbook until changed by the user - that dais they don't do anything until they are included in a filter or calculation - so you can use the parameter to filter on worksheet (filters are sheet specific but can be passed from one sheet to another -and then use the same parameter in a different filter or calculation on a different worksheet - if both sheets are on a single dashboard the parameter will affect each sheet differently based on the filter/calculation on that specific worksheet - also not you could have another sheet on the same dashboard that is un-affect by the parameter

Jim

If this posts assists in resolving the question, please mark it helpful or as the 'correct answer' if it resolves the question. This will help other users find the same answer/resolution.  Thank you.

• 4. Re: Filter to Parameter
                Raj Cheruvu

It doesn't quite answer it.  What I'm gathering is that because they are static, they don't change with an action??  I'm sure someone has tried clikcing a chart that automatically filters a parameter on the next dashboard.

• 5. Re: Filter to Parameter
                  Jim Dehner

The first part is correct

the second part is backwards - very often we will use a parameter to change a filter value or do a sheet swap - also there are now (2018.3) set actions that will look a lot like the "parameter" has been changed but if you open the parameter it has not

possibly - Are you use extensions? There is an extension for dynamic parameters? the "Dynamic" here updates the potential values in a paramter