5 Replies Latest reply on Dec 13, 2018 7:07 AM by Jim Dehner

Dynamic Dashboard Help

Tony R

Hi,

I tried to accomplish this look in a worksheet to get it to be dynamic, but no such luck with current required view. A dashboard view will work just fine, but currently it requires too many filter adjustment for the end user. In this mock up report there are 5 applications and 5 summary boxes that explain that app (Total (counts all months showing), 3m AVG (last 3 months showing average) and Trend (compares previous month to the last 3 month average and determines if it is up, flat or down).

The problem I have is that the real data has 20 applications to pick from and will continue to grow. Change the apps is easy and I want the user to be able to do that, but each summary box needs to be changed to match that new app selected. This is not ideal.

Looking for a way to link the summary box to that individual application. When it changes the summary box changes to the new one selected or added. If it goes from 5 to 4 in this view it knows to remove the 5th one and just show 4 applications and 4 summary box that all link up.

• 1. Re: Dynamic Dashboard Help
          Jim Dehner

Hi Tony

see the attached approach using set actions - this is only an example -

I added a sheet with a set based on APP on it - just used a pie chart -

found a small corner of your dash where I could fit it in and added a set action

set up a st action like this

now on the dash you can it will return this

is this what you had in mind?

Jim

If this posts assists in resolving the question, please mark it helpful or as the 'correct answer' if it resolves the question. This will help other users find the same answer/resolution.  Thank you.

• 2. Re: Dynamic Dashboard Help
            Tony R

Thanks for the post. i'm not able to open that workbook for some reason, but thanks for posting the screen shots. I may be missing something, but I don't think this accomplishes what I was thinking.

In this example each direction box/summary box represents each app (of 5) in this data set. When I filter Reliability impact and choose app6 and deselect app 5 I want the summary box to the right to change to app 6 summary box. If I want to change app1 to app 7 the summary box would change with it. All while keeping this view of vertical bars and summary/arrow indicator to the right.

• 3. Re: Dynamic Dashboard Help
              Jim Dehner

What version of Tableau are you on - needs to be 2018.3

Jim

• 4. Re: Dynamic Dashboard Help
                Tony R

Thanks for quick response Jim.

At work I use desktop Tableau 10. Don't see an option to upgrade versions and don't see the set action option. At home I use public version of tableau, so I can look at updating to that version. Do you have instructions on how I would accomplish this in Tableau 10 desktop, as that's the version I need to be running it in.

• 5. Re: Dynamic Dashboard Help
                  Jim Dehner

Ok sorry - the solution I sent is based on Set Action introduced on 2018.3 I'll take another look to see if there is a different way