4 Replies Latest reply on Dec 4, 2018 11:26 AM by Don Wise

Add Canada to the Map

Jeshwanth Kundem

Hi

I have the following tableau file, where the variable State/ Province (S) has states and Provinces.

Look for the sheet Feature vs Location

I am unable to add Canada to the visualization. I aiming to get a visualization with Canada and US on the same sheet.

I clicked on 5 unknown on the bottom right and Edit locations, and tried changing the COuntry/ Region to None, this added some Canadaprovincess but removed some US states like Florida, Maryland and Montana, I

I also tried manually entering GPS coordinates, but the tableau is still not recognizing.

Looking on how to do this or suggestions in general.

• 1. Re: Add Canada to the Map
          Don Wise

Hi Jeshwanth,

You'll need to add a bit more information for Tableau to recognize your geo fields.  You don't have a column of data for Country.  That would probably help you along quite a bit.  Add that in and then see how things play out?  Thx, Don

OR...

Use this calculation to add in Country and set to Country in Tableau as Geographic Role, then add to your Marks Card and you should get this:

CASE [S]

WHEN 'Quebec' THEN 'Canada'

WHEN 'Saskatchewan' THEN 'Canada'

WHEN 'Ontario' THEN 'Canada'

WHEN 'Nova Scotia' THEN 'Canada'

WHEN 'British Columbia' THEN 'Canada'

WHEN 'Manitoba' THEN 'Canada'

WHEN 'New Brunswick' THEN 'Canada'

ELSE 'United States'

END

Screen Shot 2018-12-04 at 11.10.48 AM.png

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Add Canada to the Map
            Jeshwanth Kundem

I added as you suggested.

Basically created a group, but still it is not recognizing. FInd attached.

• 3. Re: Add Canada to the Map
              Michael Gillespie

Read that response carefully.

You have to create a new column in the data set, by creating a calculated field, called "Country", that assigns the value "Canada" to all the provinces in your data and the value "United States" to all the other rows.

You then have to make sure that this new field is assigned the Geographic Role of "Country".

Now you will a field called "S" that has the Geo Role of "State/Province" and a field called "Country" that has the Geo Role of "Country".  Tableau should handle it from there.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Add Canada to the Map
                Don Wise

Hello Jeswanth,

Please see attached 2018.3 workbook.  I've added in the following calculation as shown in this screenshot and labeled it as Country:

Screen Shot 2018-12-04 at 11.21.16 AM.png

I then set its geographic role to be Country/Region

Screen Shot 2018-12-04 at 11.21.25 AM.png

I then dragged it from Dimensions to the Marks Card

Screen Shot 2018-12-04 at 11.21.39 AM.png

I then got this:

Screen Shot 2018-12-04 at 11.22.02 AM.png

I don't know why a group was created if the issue was a geographic one...if this answers your issue, please mark this response as correct to close the thread. Thx!  Don