1 Reply Latest reply on Dec 6, 2018 3:16 AM by Sanjay C

UI Namespace Tableau Extension changes not saving in Tableau Server

Sanjay C

I was working on an extension similar to UI Namespace Sample extension ("extensions-api/Samples/UINamespace at master · tableau/extensions-api · GitHub ") provided by Tableau.

I have hosted the files in the application server (https enabled) and pointing the trex file to the files hosted there.

I am able to drag the extension to Tableau Desktop, select the input from the dialog box and the page refreshes based on the input provided.

After I save the dashboard and publish it to the tableau server, I am not able to see the changes saved before publishing. It comes back to the initial state "Configure extension to Proceed".

I tried editing it directly in Tableau Server but still resulted in the same issue.

The changes are not being saved when the workbook is published.

Could you please let me know if I am missing something or if anyone had the same issue able to resolve it?

• 1. Re: UI Namespace Tableau Extension changes not saving in Tableau Server
          Sanjay C

After research and code changes, I have found the fix for the issue.

In the UI Namespace example, we need to include a function to check previous saved settings and populate UI based on that. We can see the settings saved by opening the .twb file.

instanceSettings.PNG

Previously only selected data sources was saved as the settings. But I have included a code to save the selected interval as the setting in addition to data sources. This will be useful to retain the state of the interval when the user clicks on configure next time.

The full code changes for the extension is available in GitHub. Now once we make changes in Tableau Desktop and publish it to Tableau Server, the configuration will be saved.

This changes will also solve the web editing issue (editing the extension directly in tableau server) .