9 Replies Latest reply on Dec 6, 2018 5:41 PM by Paul Wachtler

Unable to come up with a visualization

Jeshwanth Kundem

I am new to the tableau, been using on and off for over a year.

I have a following data sheet, where the columns nomenclated from  RS - RP ( a total of 14 columns) come under something that I call as features.

Each of the 14 columns have five different answers - not at all important, slightly important, moderately important, important, extremely important.

The other columns, like A, S, User type, Experince...indicate multiple qualitative variables.

I am struggling almost a two to three days now, on how to create a visualization, where I can talk about

Features vs User type

Features vs A

Features vs S

Features vs Experience

If I can get one, I know I can figure out the rest. However, I am even unable to come up with a visualization/ filter based visualization/ hierarchy based visualization. I am just blank on thoughts.

Any help would be great or even some direction.

• 1. Re: Unable to come up with a visualization
          Paul Wachtler

Hi Jeshwanth,

With a little setup, I was able to create a highlight table to compare Features vs User Type.  It's in the attached workbook.  You could use a similar highlight table for the other visualizations you're looking to create as well.

Here's how I created it:

1) Pivoted the data - on the data source screen, I selected all 14 feature columns, right clicked, and selected "pivot".  This gives you one column with all of the features in it (I called it Feature) and one column with all of the answers (I called it Feature Values).

2) In order to quantify the answers I created a group called Feature Value (group) that turned each answer into a number (though it's still a string).

3) I then created a calculated field called Feature Value number that converts each number into an integer.  Now you have a numerical value for each response.

In the highlight table I'm using the average Feature Value Number for the labels and for the highlight color.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Best,

Paul

• 2. Re: Unable to come up with a visualization
            Jeshwanth Kundem

Hi Paul

THanks for much help. I was able to create visualiations. The major part was knowing to pivot, then group.

I am facing problems with State, but I think I can figure that out.

With that said, find attached .twbx file, where I pivoted the feature values as you mentioned, however rather than having another qualitative variable, I have a similar data set called Pump Type (Columns BR - HVLP).

I tried creating the pivot, but it is not creating one. Could you please guide me, on how one would tackle here?

Especially two variables like Feature Variables in the previous question. @

Find attached

• 3. Re: Unable to come up with a visualization
              Paul Wachtler

Hi Jeshwanth,

Glad to hear that you were able to create some vizzes!  With Tableau's pivot functionality, after you pivot once within a dataset, you can  add other columns to the pivot, but you can't do a second pivot on the same dataset.

If you highlight those 6 columns, right click, and select "add to pivot" it will add the column headers to the "Features" column and the values to the "Feature Values" column.

Screen Shot 2018-12-05 at 10.24.31 AM.png

If you want this to be a separate pivot then you'd have to bring in a copy of your datasource and blend it with your original.

Blend Your Data - Tableau

Best,

Paul

• 4. Re: Unable to come up with a visualization
                Jeshwanth Kundem

Yeah Paul. I tried that. I was like, why cant it pivot again.

Would you be comfortable sharing me a tableu file with blending? I am unsure on how to connect and do a single chart of both the data sheets.

Also, I have another tool, where I can pivto both of my variables individually and create a single excel sheet. The problem with that is however, I will have so many NULL (empty cells) as one variable has 14 features and the other only has 6

• 5. Re: Unable to come up with a visualization
                  Paul Wachtler

I think you'll need some type of identifier in your data source for this.  In excel, even if you just create a column that starts at 1 and increments by 1 for each row, we could use that to blend your feature and pump type data.  As it is now, there's not really a field to blend on between the two.

• 6. Re: Unable to come up with a visualization
                    Jeshwanth Kundem

I was able to create as you suggested.

JOined both of them with full outer.

What would be my next step? I still cant do two pivots. What am I missing?@

• 7. Re: Unable to come up with a visualization
                      Paul Wachtler

Right, you can't have them in the same datasource.  You need to set them each up as individual datasources and then use a blend (not a join) to bring them together.  This will let you pivot each datasource separately.

Check that link I sent you on how blends work.

• 8. Re: Unable to come up with a visualization
                        Jeshwanth Kundem

I am still stuck.

Check my latest tableau file, attached. Still not sure, on how I can make a visualization with two quantitative variables.

My idea is to use two different things like color and size, but not working as expected. Bunch of null values

• 9. Re: Unable to come up with a visualization
                          Paul Wachtler

Where did the User Type field go?  You can use that along with feature names, and separately with pump names to build two charts.

Otherwise though, if you want to figure out building one chart with both variables, then you need to figure out what questions you want your viz to answer.  What are the relationships between feature names and pump names?  What is the data showing and what can combining them onto one chart help show better?