2 Replies Latest reply on Dec 3, 2018 11:51 AM by Norbert Maijoor

Using a parameter to show a summation without showing individual values

Brooke Wollam

Hi Tableau community,

I've created a parameter with the following values, and it is supposed to show the corresponding values on the graph: Engineering Center, Region, Business Group. The parameter has been connected to the graph, but not in the way I'd like it displayed. I cannot get the line to show an accurate total sum to go along with the parameter - instead it shows a breakdown of each region, business group, etc.

So far, I've created a dual axis chart to attempt to display the total summation, along with the (unnecessary) breakdown of location and such. However, this total summation value is not dynamic like I need it to be. Instead of showing the total of all values, I want this line to represent the values on the graph alone, and sum those values. I.e. if one of the months has very little or no data, I want this reflected in the total summation line.

I want the (accurate) summation alone on the graph, and I've created a filter so the user can choose to see an individual region, etc. if deeper analysis is required.

Let me know if this is possible or if you have any tips.

Thanks!