3 Replies Latest reply on Dec 1, 2018 3:04 PM by Shinichiro Murakami

Creating an area graph with one static measure and one changeable measure?

Mike Levine

Hi everyone,

This is my first time posting to Tableau Community. Excited to be here. I've got a question, and hoping that someone can help.

I'm trying to put together a workbook on the effect that e-commerce has had on retail, going all the way back to 2000.

Well, for one of the graphs, I have the percent change from the previous quarter for different segments of the retail industry. Ideally, this would be one segment versus e-commerce. So for example, see below. The off blue is e-commerce, and the dark yellow is clothing stores. The point of the graph is to show that the growth of e-commerce dwarfs any other area of brick-and-mortar retail stores and to put it into perspective.

I want the user to be able to select from a drop down what category of data they want to compare e-commerce to. So in a sense, the e-commerce part of the area graph would be "static" and the other would be changeable in the form of a drop down. I've figured out how to make a parameter and filter based on it. The trouble is that I can't figure out how to get the e-commerce data to be in the "background," so to speak.

Any ideas? I've been researching this for hours and can't seem to figure it out. I've tried dual axes but I can't filter on just one axis, so that doesn't work either... see attached for the workbook.