Can you make sure, you have given the workbook level permission to all present in the user filter when publishing the workbook.
Because user filter is the next level of workbook filtering.
And also make test the user filter set that for all users check boxes are enabled.
The user was able to view and interact with all the data prior to adding the user filter. The user has the same Permissions as I do and I am able to see all the dashboards.
That's weird :O
Do you have more than one user filter?
If yes check both user filter sets.
Test 1 : Remove the user filters once and test with one user is he/she able to see the dashboard.
Test 2: Check is there any data filter, extract filter, exclude values available.
Yes, if I remove the user filter he is able to see the dashboards. It is just when I add the user filter that he is no longer able to see the dashboards. But like I stated I can see everything when I filter as a user to test his view. There are no other filters that would impact the view per user.
Follow-up ... I removed the user filter from one workbook and he was then able to see that Dashboard on Desktop. What's interesting is the user filter is working as expected on the web version. He is able to see everything as expected when accessing via the web.
I believe you would have had two layers of user filter, one using the username() and another based on user filters set.
Hope after deleting the user filter set it worked as expected. This could be the solution and confirm the same.
If the issue solved then close this question as answered.
The issues is not resolved. I need the user filter to limit the view of data by users. But as stated, on Desktop in testing the user sees blank dashboards but can see everything correctly in Web with the user filters on. If I take the user filter off one of the workbooks, the user can see that workbook/dashboard in Desktop, but still only sees blank dashboards for all others. Why would Desktop behave differently than the Web?
I guess you are referring to data level and not the tableau permission on the dashboard.
I do it in the following two ways.
By formula in the Data Source
If Oracle data source, and if i am already using some complex custom SQL which needs user filter in multiple parts of the SQL, is use Oracle session variable.
Also, I have experienced Filter as User not so reliable.
To troubleshoot, you could find the SQL (to check how the username is passed) sent from the Desktop to the Database from the log files in the following location
userhome\Documents\My Tableau Repository\Logs
You could also see the SQL from the performance analyzer.
I can understand that you can't share the workbook as it's being tested with tableau server. Take consideration of sampath response, you are in a touching distance to solve the problem.
If possible share the workbook with 10.5 version I'll take a look