5 Replies Latest reply on Nov 29, 2018 11:57 AM by Chris McClellan

Tableau Usage

José Martín De María Recalde

Hi! I'm from Argentina and user of Tableau Desktop for academic purposes. But the enterprise i work for is analyzing the acquisition of Tableau Creator so they can also use Tableau Server. They asked me if using Tableau Server they can create a group of clients (that don't have a tableau user) who can only see our workbooks without having permission to our databases.Basically, my boss wants to work in different projects for different companies, obviously each project is private, and show them only the work he does, so they can only see what he wants them to see. Also, he wants to know how many users can be added to tableau online/server. Don't know if I'm being clear. Can you tell me more about this (I couldn't find much information in the Tableau webpage)?? Thank you all for your time.  

• 1. Re: Tableau Usage
          Chris McClellan

Every person using Tableau Server must have a license - that's how they login and how you can control what they see.

If you create an extract, then they won't need access to the database at all.

• 2. Re: Tableau Usage

Thank you for answering, let me see if I understood. First of all, I will obviously have a license for Tableau Server, then I was wondering if my clients need also a server license, because they will only view our workbooks. For example, if I have a license and invite them to join me in Tableau Online, they sign up with their own user of Tableau Online and view the work I did for them or they must have at least a license of Tableau Viewer?

• 3. Re: Tableau Usage
              Chris McClellan

You can do it both ways, but let me explain the differences :

1) I think the simplest way is for you to buy the Tableau Online license and the clients login to your Online instance and you have created the permissions so they can only see their workbooks and their data.  This could be as simple as a different project and group for each client.  Every person that logs in needs a valid user license (Explorer or Viewer would be enough depending on the functionality you want to provide to them).  The client needs a license, but you are buying the license for them, and you would probably forward on the cost to them as well.  They don't need a separate Tableau Online license because they are using yours.

2)  More complex - the client has their own Tableau Online.  They can use Tableau a lot more because they must have a Creator license and you have to login to each Online instance separately in order to publish the workbooks to them.

If you are creating all the workbooks for them, and really just displaying your data to them and they don't want to do any in-house Tableau work themselves then Option 1 is the best option for you

• 4. Re: Tableau Usage

Perfect. You were very helpful, but I have a last question (sorry, but my boss is still asking me), so no one can see any work I did on my tableau server unless they have a paid license? The thing is that one of my clients represents a hundred companies, then if I send a dashboard to my client he will need to acquire a hundred licenses of tableau viewer to show his clients my dashboard? There is no way for them to view it for free? I find it non-viable to buy a hundred licenses for different people to see a dashboard... 

Sorry for bothering you, but I need to be sure what to offer my client or not.

Again, thank you very much.Chris McClellan

• 5. Re: Tableau Usage
                  Chris McClellan

If you're using Tableau Server that's the only way.  You could use Tableau Reader (that's free but comes with it's own hurdles).  It might be best to get in touch with your local Tableau office and explore options with them.