1 Reply Latest reply on Nov 28, 2018 11:38 AM by Don Wise Branched from an earlier discussion.

Re: Difference in date from different rows

Matt Huff

Hi Don,

Thanks for what you did prior, but I am asking for more help

I know I had this marked complete, but I have a continuation of same data set.  I am terribly inefficient at tableau so I apologize in advance.

I tried creating a calc to give the number and then % of readmissions per month that are 30 days or less based on the admit date being the month of readmission.

I can't get it to work at all.

I will then need to break down the number of readmissions by ICD code to see who is coming back the most.  I think if I can get some help on the first part I may be able to flounder my way through on the rest.  If you need a larger data set with more variability I can provide that.

• 1. Re: Difference in date from different rows
          Don Wise

Hi Matt,

No worries. I've done something like this before. I'll walk you through what I did with screenshots below and attached is 2018.3 workbook.  If this answers your question, please mark as correct. Thx ! Don

First thing I did was to create a calculation that would tell me whether the number of days in between trued up to being 30 days or less; essentially a True/False statement and dropped that onto Rows to show next to number of days whether number of days falls into the True or False bucket.

Screen Shot 2018-11-28 at 11.26.06 AM.png

Next I created another calculation, to identify whether the Medical Records was a single admission or a readmission with the following calc, which essentially says, if the first row then classify it as 0 and if 0 then classify it as an Initial Admit, which covers both scenarios of when a patient really only has a single event and if the patient has multiple events declares the first one as an initial admit (covers both scenarios).  The ELSEIF then declares if the number of days is greater than 0, classify that event as a readmit.

Screen Shot 2018-11-28 at 11.27.35 AM.png

I then created a second worksheet, which brings in both of those calculations to the Filters Card and appropriately filters only for those READMITS that are 30 Days or Less.  Brought in your Admit Date and set it to Year & Month on Rows. Then did a count of Admit Date. Brought in another instance of Count of Admit Date and did a Quick Calculation as % of Total and set it to subtotal on each month.

Screen Shot 2018-11-28 at 11.28.13 AM.png