3 Replies Latest reply on Dec 3, 2018 8:58 AM by Paul Wachtler

Filter Help

anuj agrawal

I have a filter which is being used to filter a table by "Region". The regions are West,South West, North,North West, .... and so on.

In the filter I have enable the option of Select All. What i want to achieve is that when someone selects "All" from the dropdown the filter takes in the value as  just North, and not all the regions. Is this possible? I would greatly appreciate the help.

• 1. Re: Filter Help
          Paul Wachtler

Hi Anuj,

Create a parameter that is a list of all of your regions - for the very top value, manually put in "All".  Right click on the parameter in your field list and select "Show Parameter Control".

Create a calculated field with your parameter (I'm going to call it region selector) like this:

if [region selector] = "all" then

if [region] = "North" then "Include" end

elseif [region] = [region selector] then "Include"

else "Exclude"

end

Put that field onto your filter and select "Include".  Now if someone selects "All" on the parameter it will only show the north region, otherwise it will show the region value they select.

Best,

Paul

• 2. Re: Filter Help
            anuj agrawal

Hi Paul,

Thanks for the help. I wanted to go this route initially before posting here, but the problem is a little more complicated than that. The filter "Region" is a global filter and applies to other vizzes on the dashboard. The user also wants to be able to select multiple regions at once to look at the product data across those regions. By implementing your solution, it will limit selecting of multiple regions at once. Is there another way of achieving the same with multi select functionality?Thank You!

• 3. Re: Filter Help
              Paul Wachtler

Hi Anuj,

Parameters don't allow for multiple selections.  And the <all> value on a filter can only be used for selecting all values, it's not flexible like a parameter.  I can't think of a way to achieve exactly what you're looking to do.

Best,

Paul

1 of 1 people found this helpful