3 Replies Latest reply on Dec 19, 2018 9:14 AM by kevin flerlage

YoY Bar Chart with YoY % Change

Ashley Emery

Greetings Tableau community, I am looking to create a YoY bar chart, but I would also like to include a circle overlay that shows the %/Actual YoY change. Does anyone know if this is possible in Tableau? See image below;

Capture.JPG

I don't have a workbook that I am working from - just curious.

• 1. Re: YoY Bar Chart with YoY % Change
          kevin flerlage

I created a similar chart for you using Sample Superstore data. I saved it to my Tableau Public profile and you can access it using the link below or attachment.

I first created a table of the data and created a Previous Month calculation using Looking (see "@Previous Year Month" calculation).  I then used this to calculate the month over month % change (see "@YoY Change" calculation).

I then created the chart with Month of Order Date and Year of Order Date on the columns shelf.  I then placed Sales on Rows and changed it to a bar.  From here, I needed to add the circles with the percentage change.  To do this, I chose a value somewhere near the bottom (I chose $10,000).  Next to Sales on the Rows shelf, I double-clicked and typed "Min(10000).  I changed this to a dual axis and synchronized the axis.  On this Min(10000) axis, I changed the mark type to a shape and used a filled circle.  I changed the color to blue.  I added the @YoY Change calculation to the Text card (as a label) and centered it.

YOY Chart.PNG

Tableau Public

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: YoY Bar Chart with YoY % Change
            Ashley Emery

Wow! Kevin! This is exactly what I was looking for. I will follow these steps for my own data source. Many thanks.

• 3. Re: YoY Bar Chart with YoY % Change
              kevin flerlage

I'm happy to hear that!!!  You are welcome.

Would you be so kind to mark this as "answered"?  Thank you!