5 Replies Latest reply on Nov 26, 2018 6:29 AM by Jennifer VonHagel

How can I create a time-only parameter?

Rafael Benavent

What I would like to do:

I would like to create a parameter where a user can enter a time such as "17:00" or "19:05".

The parameter will be used in a calculated field to filter the data:

[Tap-on Time] <= [End Time Control]

AND

[Tap-off Time] > [End Time Control]

(Where End Time Control is the parameter)

What I've tried:

- Making an integer parameter and formatting it as "HH:mm".

Didn't work as it would only display 00:00 no matter what the actual value was. Also the user was required to enter an integer.

- Making a calculated field from the integer parameter and using a calculation to display it as hh:mm.

Didn't work as the user could only select a single value which was the value the parameter was set to (so if the parameter was set to 36,000 the user could only choose 10:00).

- Making a DateTime parameter and formatting it as "HH:mm".

Didn't work as the parameter still showed a date and a calendar picker.

I'm not sure what else to try. Any help is greatly appreciated.

• 1. Re: How can I create a time-only parameter?
          Jennifer VonHagel

HI Rafael,

A couple questions:

1. What data type is [Tap-on Time]? Is it DateTime, Time Only, Str?
          2. I didn't quite catch how you want to use the time parameter in your filter. This calculation would seem to exclude everything as the Parameter can only give a single time value and Tap-on Time can't be both <= and > than it.

What I'd do for a time parameter is create a list of strings in the format HH:MM in Excel, then Copy and Paste that list into a String Parameter.

So, using some calculations in Excel I generated this list (Excel workbook is attached, the calculations are in a separate tab).

I copied The Time Strings from Row 2 to the bottom, and Pasted them into a Tableau Parameter:

When shown in the view, this can either be a drop-down list, or you can let your users type directly into a box.

If your Source Data has Time as a String, you can compare it directly to this parameter.  If your Source Data is a DateTime field, you could create a String time to match the parameter:

Hope this helps, feel free to respond with more info if you need help with the filter.

Best,

Jennifer

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: How can I create a time-only parameter?
            Rafael Benavent

Thanks for your in-depth reply.

A couple questions:

1. What data type is [Tap-on Time]? Is it DateTime, Time Only, Str?
            2. I didn't quite catch how you want to use the time parameter in your filter. This calculation would seem to exclude everything as the Parameter can only give a single time value and Tap-on Time can't be both <= and > than it.

1. Right now it is an integer representing the time as seconds but I have another field, "Tap-on Time HHMMSS", which is formatted in the data source as HH:MM:SS (although Tableau insists on prefixing a meaningless date like "31/12/1989" in front of it).

2. So basically in the time parameter you would select a time value in 24 hour format like "10:00" or "22:30". Then, the filter in the OP would only include records were Tap-on Time is less than or equal to the time value of the parameter AND Tap-off Time is greater than the time value of the parameter.

Just wanted to answer your questions ASAP. Will have a look at your post now.

• 3. Re: How can I create a time-only parameter?
              Jennifer VonHagel

Ah-ha! Tap-OFF time. I did not read carefully enough!

Hmm, I think you should be able to safely compare the String Parameter HH:MM to the String Calculated Time field HH:MM with > and < operators. Since the Hours and Minutes have leading zeros, the strings should be evaluated as < or > alphabetically in a correct way.

Best,

Jennifer

• 4. Re: How can I create a time-only parameter?
                Rafael Benavent

Thank you. Your answer really helped me out. I chose it as the correct answer.