5 Replies Latest reply on Nov 24, 2018 1:43 PM by Jim Dehner

Dashboard Show number of records

Daniel Nielsen

Hi,

As a newbie to tableau, this struggles me a lot.

I want to have a field that shows the number of records after I applied my filters.

Lets say my data has a total of 3000. So before applying the filters it should say 3000, then after applying filter the number automatically change to lets say 1200.

How do I do that?

• 1. Re: Dashboard Show number of records
          Akram Ebrahim

Hi Daniel,

Run tableau desktop application. The first screen show the list of connectors, choose your data connection.

E.g. Microsoft Excel

Now you will get the data source editing window. Choose the table you want to analyze

E.g. Orders

Now in the goto worksheet, look for Number of records in the measures shelf

Now drag this measure and release in the text label on the marks shelf

Now your basic text report on worksheet giving how many records you have in the data file.

Next step, choose the dimension ( field) you want to filter the records for,

E.g. Category

Drag the category to filters shelf, here I'm choosing furniture category, select Apply on the bottom

Category Records:

Now you have successfully filter the number of records only for furniture category

To learn the basic quick go through the ondemand learning videos on www.tableau.com website.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Dashboard Show number of records
            Jim Dehner

hi

Just drag the Number of records to the viz

Jim

If this posts assists in resolving the question, please mark it helpful or as the 'correct answer' if it resolves the question. This will help other users find the same answer/resolution.  Thank you.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Dashboard Show number of records
              Daniel Nielsen

Thanks for the quick responses, my issue is how I am applying it to a dashboard, where global filters change graphs and therefore also should change the number.

I have it like this and no matter how I change my filters, the number will stay 1.200:

These are the tabs involved:
              1:

2:

• 4. Re: Dashboard Show number of records
                Daniel Nielsen

Oh I forgot to apply it to all sheets. My bad! Thanks for your time

• 5. Re: Dashboard Show number of records
                  Jim Dehner

Glad to help out -

I like to "apply to"  vs action filters - feel I have more control

Enjoy the weekend

Jim