1 Reply Latest reply on Dec 31, 2018 2:27 PM by patrick.byrne.0

Tableau Server Worker Nodes Drivers

Richard Silva

Hi,

Is there a way to synchronize the drivers between the worker nodes?

Previously we have a 3-node cluster (Primary Server + 2 Worker Nodes). 2 additional worker nodes were provisioned for our server but when I tried configuring them the refresh extracts are encountering the error of not having the correct drivers installed. I tried installing the necessary drivers but when I tried running the extracts, it again failed with the same error. Right now, I re-configured the worker nodes to not have backgrounder on them so that no refresh extracts will run in them. Possible reason is the versions of our existing drivers and the ones that I have installed in the new nodes. With that said, I want to confirm if there is a way to synchronize all my drivers to avoid encountering issues again. I'm sorry if my explanation is vague.

Also, I would like to confirm if there is a recommended configuration for a 5-node cluster. See screenshot below for our current configuration. Thank you.

• 1. Re: Tableau Server Worker Nodes Drivers
          patrick.byrne.0

Hello Richard,

When operating a Tableau Server the database drivers will need to be installed on each worker with the one of the following processes.

• Application Server (Vizportal)
          • Backgrounder
          • Data Server
          • VizQL Server

Source: Database Drivers - Tableau

There is not currently an automated process for installing or synchronizing the drivers across the nodes that is built into Tableau. Please share this as Idea to the Community Ideas forum: Ideas

I know there are some admins who script these installations so when they update their drivers they run the script and it updates all of their workers at once. But this is outside of my realm of knowledge and I could not speak very well to the process of setting these scripts.

Hope this helps!

Cheers,

Byrne, Patrick

Community Manager

Tableau Software