3 Replies Latest reply on Nov 20, 2018 8:30 AM by Vincent Baumel

Line graph with two labels

Hamel Patel

Hi,

I would like a label at the end of the chart showing category but then on all other points on the chart i would like a label showing just the profit. Tableau seems to combine the two which i don't want.

Any ideas?

ive attached a work book.

Thanks,

• 1. Re: Line graph with two labels
          Vincent Baumel

Hi Hamel! Is this what you're thinking?

If so, there's a pretty straightforward way to get there. I created a calculation called Category Label that looks like this:

This will return a value if it's the first partition in our viz, and it will default to the leftmost point in our line in this case. I replaced the Category label with this new calculation, and cleaned up the labels a bit. Keep in mind that with a legend you wouldn't *technically* need a line label, but if it's what you're after then I think this will solve it for you!

If this answers you're question, please choose 'Correct Answer' so that others can find it if they have the same question.

Thanks,

Vince

• 2. Re: Line graph with two labels
            Hamel Patel

Hi, thanks, would this work if i was to change the FIRST part of your formula to LAST to show at the end of the line?

Thanks btw very helpful.

Hamel

• 3. Re: Line graph with two labels
              Vincent Baumel

Yes, LAST()=0 will return true for the last partition in your worksheet. If you wanted to clean it up even a touch more, you can do a second calculation for the value, then place them side by side on your label mark:

I just put them on the label like this:

There's tons of ways you can customize labels!

-Vince