2 of 2 people found this helpful
This should help answer some of your questions : https://www.curvediscussion.com/certifiablytableau-tableau-desktop-specialist/
Basically the exam runs on a virtual machine, you don't have to create the same viz - just get the answer to the question.
1 of 1 people found this helpful
Recommend you check out the Exam Guide from Tableau and how to prep the Exam Set-Up, it has all the information you need. The blog Chris McClellan mentioned has a lot of great info too and if interested there's a Test Exam on learningtableau.com you can take in preparation.
See links below ... good luck!
Tableau Exam Guide for Desktop Specialist Exam
Tableau Specialist Exam 1 (Beta)
Do we need to have a printer at home to take Tableau Desktop Specialist certification? When enrolling for certification...It is mentioned as one of the point...Kindly let me know based on your experience while taking the test...
I took my exam from home last Friday and can confirm no printer is needed, and as far as I can remember that's not mentioned anywhere.
1 of 1 people found this helpful
Not sure I understand all our questions but hope the below helps. And if any of the information in this thread was useful, it would be helpful for those who answered that you mark the question as answered or indicate that the information helped I also recommend you read all the materials already posted as I believe they will fill in the rest of your answers.
- I took my exam from home, my desk sits in an open space so don't take the term 'Closed Space' too literal. They just want to be able to see that no one is around and there's nothing on the walls that could be considered as providing 'help'.
- After connecting to the proctor I was asked to show the space I was in by rotating my camera 360° (my living space is open so they could see the kitchen behind me and that wasn't an issue). I did make sure I removed everything from my desk so just had my laptop, mouse, a bottle of water and my passport.
- The way your identify is confirmed is you have to hold up a government issued passport so they can confirm the details (your name) match with what you put in when you registered (this is also mentioned in the prep guide). Where you take the exam is in fact not relevant, just that you are in fact you.
- By private network it's meant that for example you are not sitting in an airport lounge using a network anyone can connect to (so without a password and not encrypted). If you're using your home network (or office network for that matter), as long as not every random person can connect to it you're fine.
- In the guide it says a LAN connection is recommend as there is less risk of it cutting out compared to WIFI but if you want to use WIFI that's at your own risk.
- You're not allowed to use a VPN (as mentioned in the exam guide)
- Once you are connected to the proctor and have done all the tests (speed, latency etc) they ask you to pull up the task manager to make sure you have nothing else running in the background and they will also take a look at what's in your sys tray. I forgot to shut down my Icloud and OneDrive so had to shut that down first before connecting to the Virtual Machine on which you are taking the actual test.
- The questions are multiple choice just like the text questions in the exam guide so how you get to your answer is not considered. If you want to use a line chart, cross-tab of bar chart to answer your question, it's not taken into consideration for this particular test.
Just fyi, on the topic of Tableau certifications, you may be interested in this blog by Katie Ansley
Three things I learned when I failed the Tableau Desktop QA exam
I'm trying to access the learningtableau link that you gave (Tableau Specialist Exam Beta). Can you provide the password? Thank you!
Denisse - the text exams on learningtableau.com are not free, you have to buy your own password
Hello, you can watch this Youtube video to learn pretty much everything about the desktop specialist exam.
The video covers:
+ Exam Facts
+ Question Formats
+ Exam Registration Process
+ Exam Rules
+ Exam Environment
+ Exam Result
+ Objection to Exam Result
+ Question Distribution
+ Exam Preparation
--> Community Manager note (Ciara Brennan): please note that this is not an official Tableau video. For all official information related to Tableau certification please refer to Certification | Tableau Software or email the team at firstname.lastname@example.org
What is the password for the sample exam questions? It asked for a passward
A note for those using Lenovo computers: I had a very hard time trying to get my internal camera to work when it came time to sit down with my proctor (we spent over an hour trying all sorts of things before rescheduling).
Turns out I needed to go to Control Panel ==> Lenovo - Web Conferencing then click "Allow"
This was not intuitive to this old man as:
1) All the set-up tests said "Passed"
2) I'd used the camera recently
3) The proctor was stumped (don't get me wrong-- the proctors are awesome)
4) This option (Lenovo Web Conferencing) isn't visible on the Device Manager tab...
So: if you're having video issues, take note! You can always test your cam in real-time by going to https://webcamtoy.com/
Good luck all!
Thanks for the tip, Michael!