3 Replies Latest reply on Nov 16, 2018 12:31 PM by Paul Wachtler

YOY  Calculation Logic and Complex Scenario

DHRITIMAN BANERJEE

Hi Community,

I have one confusion regarding YOY growth in filter selection.

Let me share the complex scenario I am facing for YOY date range selection and using  YOY quick table calculations.

Firm name A has done sales up to March 2018 and for 2017, he has sales up to December 2017. Our is a monthly report and will store data up to the last date of the previous month for current year.

Scenario 1: Whether YOY of 2018 will be calculated from 1st January to march,2018 and for 1st January to march,2017  for 2017 or it will be calculated from January to the previous month(October as per today),2018 with January to the previous month,2017.

I am confused in the range selection.

Scenario 2: If we are capturing sales for firm name A from 2016-2018 and max sales date is captured in 2018.

If we want to show YOY for the year 2017 with 2016, whether we will capture data from January to previous month for 2017, 2016 or it will be capture data from January to December for 2017,2016 or it will capture data based on from January to the maximum month of 2018.

Could you please clarify the month range when the user wants to see YOY 2018 and 2017. Could you please share a mock workbook as per your understanding as there is an urgent delivery along with when user wants to find YOY for 2018 and 2017.

Regards,

Dhritiman

• 1. Re: YOY  Calculation Logic and Complex Scenario
          Paul Wachtler

Hi Dhritiman,

While we could tell you what we consider to be the definition of YoY, as this appears to be a request for a client of yours, I highly recommend that you ask them to clarify their definition.  You don't want to use a workbook from one of us based on our own understanding of YoY if that's not what your client wants.

Once you've confirmed their definition, then we'll be able to help.  Although it is also recommended that you share a mock workbook for us to help you with, including dummy data if your actual data is sensitive.

Best,

Paul

• 2. Re: YOY  Calculation Logic and Complex Scenario
            DHRITIMAN BANERJEE

Hi Paul,

Yeah, you are right . But can you give me an overall overview how yoy is calculated in general if you gone through my scenarios.

Even Business analysts are unable to give satisfactory answers for the scenarios faced. Can you share your experiences regarding YOY as per your understanding

• 3. Re: YOY  Calculation Logic and Complex Scenario
              Paul Wachtler

Sure, in my opinion, if I'm looking at YoY comparisons, I'm comparing the current value vs the value from 12 months ago.  In your first scenario, if you were reporting on YoY numbers in March 2018, then you'd be comparing sales from March 2018 to the sales in March 2017.

Same thing in your 2nd scenario - if you're calculating 2017 YoY values then you'll take the value for your specific point in time (whether it's a quarter, month, week, or even a day) and compare it to that same exact point in 2016 - for example YoY for April 2017 would compare against April 2016, or YoY for Q2 in 2017 would compare to Q2 in 2016.

If they want a rolling-12 month calculation - which would be the total for the previous 12 months, compared to that same value for the previous year, that's different in my opinion than YoY.

1 of 1 people found this helpful