0 Replies Latest reply on Nov 16, 2018 1:53 AM by Alexander Egert

Tableau Server Performance Example Workbooks

Alexander Egert

Hi there,

at the moment I´m struggling with some dashboards and their performance.

I´ve read a lot of performance blogs and saw tableau´s performance tuning videos where a lot of tools like tabmon e.g. were used.

I want to identify and undertand much more about the things the tableau server will do while rendering and loading the data because at the moment the I don´t unterstand the performance things at all. Report load times differ beetween 10-60 seconds on the same dashboard.

I´m unsure if this caused of re-caching the data or another impact creates the really big differences. That´s why I will try to test some more tools to understand what happens.

So what I need is:

- which tools are you using to understand the performance in your workbooks?

- do someone has some example workbooks for me based on the data the tools are producing that I can use for understanding?

At the moment I´m only using tableau´s performance reports but it clearify not everything at all.

I think some "calculated fields" or "filters" can be the problem so that rendering slow down and take a while.

Another question what I have is:

- is the postgreSQL database involved while loading the dashboard on the tableau server?

- has someone optimized the things in the postgreSQL database for himself? (Indexes and so one are not optimized by tableau)

A lot of questions but I think someone of you can help me with that.

Thx to all....