6 Replies Latest reply on Nov 21, 2018 5:51 AM by Ciara Brennan

Creating a neat and elegant Calendar in Tableau

Soumitra Godbole

After seeing basic Calendar examples in Tableau, I got an idea of coming up with a new and elegant calendar design (1-month and the 12-month) for 2018. In addition to year, month and weekday, it also displays the Quarter.

1. Creating the Data Source - It is a simple Excel spreadsheet with only 2 fields - ID and Date (Jan 1 - Dec 31)

The screenshot below only shows 4 rows of data but we will need 365 rows (for all the days in 2018).

Test Excel.png

Drag the 2 columns after selecting the 1st and 2nd rows till you reach row 366 which would have an ID value of

365 and a Date of 12/31/2018. Save it as Data and open it with Tableau 2018.2. You are now ready to begin.

2. Connecting to the Data Source - You should see a blank screen with just 2 dimensions (ID & Date).

3. Calculated fields - Using only the Date dimension, create the following calculated fields shown below:

Calculated Fields 1B.png

All of the above calculated fields are fairly straight forward with the exception of the last one i.e. 'Week No'

It is used to calculate the week for a given month, that any given day of that month would fall under.

The default settings in Tableau gives Sunday a 'Weekday No' value of 1, Monday 2 ..... and finally Saturday 7.

The first day (week start) can be changed  in the date properties section shown below but for now we go along

with the default settings.

Screenshot Blank 2.png

4. For a 1-month Calendar design - Simply replicate the view shown below by placing the calculated fields

(dimensions) in the appropriate shelves along with the filters (remember to hide field labels). In the example

below we have added the Date filter and set the Month to 'November'.

Then Place this worksheet along with the filter on a dashboard. Do a bit of formatting to arrive at  the design

shown below or create your own.

1 month.png

5. For a 12-month Calendar design - This will require dividing the 12 months into 3 vertical rows or Groups,

each consisting of 4 months (as shown in the diagram below).

In order to achieve the above, we need to create a new calculated field called 'Group' using the formula below:

Calculated Fields 2B.png

Create a Worksheet called "Group 1" and replicate the view shown below by placing the calculated fields

(dimensions) in the appropriate shelves (hide the filed labels). In the diagram below, filter for "Gr 1"

and unhide the Quarter field header.

Group 1

12 Month (Gr 1).png

Similarly create worksheets for Groups 2 & 3 as shown below and make sure to hide the 'Quarter' field header.

Group 2

12 Month (Gr 2).png

Group 3

12 Month (Gr 3).png

Now place the above 3 worksheets as floating objects (equally sized) and try to fit it within the dashboard

area. You may need to adjust the font size of the days and numbers. Lastly with a bit of formatting you can

arrive at the dashboard design shown below or modify it to make something more appealing.

Dashboard 12 month.png

Hope the above explanation was helpful and concise as this was my first time. Please feel free to leave me any

feedback, suggestions or even corrections that you come across. Also note that the data source (Excel) along

with the packaged workbook (twbx file) are also enclosed and can be downloaded at your convenience.

Once you have a fairly good understanding of the calculations used in the above visual, you can create newer

ones and add your own customization. Add new features. Eg:- make it for a decade or century instead of just one

year (2018). Or even added colored pictures for each month along with colored markers for weekends and

holidays for different geographical locations (Countries).

I recently published a colorful "21st Century Universal Calendar" (2001 AD  to  2100 AD) in Tableau Public and

the URL is given below:

https://public.tableau.com/profile/soumitra5951#!/vizhome/21stCenturyUniversalCalendar/Story

Also here are a couple of Screenshots.

1-month Calendar.png

12-month Calendar.png

With this "I have taken my first step into a much larger world" - Obi Wan Kenobi (A NEW HOPE). Based on user

feedback, suggestions and likes, I plan to add more visuals covering diverse topics. Toodeloo / Bye / Ciao !

Soumitra

"The journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step"  - Laozi (Tao Te Ching)