3 Replies Latest reply on Nov 9, 2018 12:25 PM by Jim Dehner

Trending Indicators

Justin Doster

I am using Tableau to show storage equipment performance trends, among many other things.  I have data sources for a storage array that provide IOP, Throughput and Latency data at a volume level.  I want to show volume level performance and compare it to a previous period with an easy visual indicator.  I know how to use shapes in Tableau, but everything breaks down for me when I try to have shapes across multiple columns in a performance table.

Attached is a simple workbook.  I have three measures (IOPs, Throughput and Latency).  And then I added three calculated fields (% IOPs change, % Throughput change and % Latency change)....with all six laid out as columns. How can I do some sort of visual indicator with the % change and a color indicator?  I have seen other discussion threads on how to do arrows, and I can get them to work on a column, but not across columns with different measures.

Can anyone help me?

• 1. Re: Trending Indicators
          Jim Dehner

Hi Justin

the data structure is making each of the values a separate measure and the resulting % change calculation a separate calculation -

so what to do - either you end up creating a series of separate KPI indicators for each measure or re-structure the data

Typically the way to restructure the dat is by pivoting but in Tableau proper you are limited to 1 pivot per data set - that won't work with your set because you subdivide the measure (eg latency, mbps etc) - Tableau Prep would allow you to make multiple pivots to the same data set -

Jim

If this posts assists in resolving the question, please mark it helpful or as the 'correct answer' if it resolves the question. This will help other users find the same answer/resolution.  Thank you.

• 2. Re: Trending Indicators
            Justin Doster

Unfortunately, I used a simple data set for the example.  I typically have five or six history files per array and then multiple sets by array type.  I won't be able to manipulate the data just because of the effort of regularly doing that.  Is there anything I can do by color coding or conditional formatting?

Justin

• 3. Re: Trending Indicators
              Jim Dehner

Well you would have to work with each of your measures individually - sorry

Jim