2 Replies Latest reply on Nov 11, 2018 7:11 AM by Matt Szmaida

Seeing one measure over many dimensions

Matt Szmaida

Hello! Just discovered Tableau, and I'm really excited about using it.

I'm trying to work out the kinks in my data model. To do this, I'm comparing a key ratio for my "before and after" for a few different cuts of the data, and I'm trying to easily see which cuts diverge the most from 1.

More specifically, my data is a bunch of rows of life insurance policies. Each policy has parameters like benefit amount, issue age, plan code, etc. In my sample data, there's a problem with Plan Code 2 and Valuation Rate 2.5, which is why they appear so far away from a ratio of 1 in the dashboard I've included.

My problem is that my dashboard is very rigid. I have had to manually set the range of each of the axes, and remove the headers from all but the bottom plot on my dashboard (lest the dashboard get cluttered with more tick mark numbers than necessary).

As I update my model and produce ratios getting closer and closer to 1, the maximum and minimum of my axes will get smaller. I need the axes to match for each of the data cuts, but I don't want to have to manually change each of them every time!

Is there a better way to do this? Perhaps there's a type of chart that does this natively with many dimensions. That way, I wouldn't have to make each one individually, then make a dashboard featuring all of them.

Thank you so much for your insight.

Edit 11/9/2018 1:41PM to include a screenshot of my dashboard. You can see the outliers in Plan Code and Val Rate that I am talking about.

prototype.png