4 Replies Latest reply on Nov 13, 2018 10:07 AM by Joe Oppelt

Disabling Highlighting

Jeff Labenek

Hello,

I'm curious to know if there is way to disable highlighting in worksheets or dashboards e.g. when you select a data point it defaults to highlight that point in blue and grey's out the rest of the data. My end users are getting lost as they drill down into data on my dashboard. If anyone has a workaround it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Jeff    

• 1. Re: Disabling Highlighting
          Joe Oppelt

You can control it at the individual legend level:

Select or de-select "Highlight".

And you can do it at the workbook level:

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Disabling Highlighting
            swaroop.gantela

Joe,

Thanks, I hadn't seen that before.

Jeff,

I'm not sure if this is pertinent, but here's maybe a similar thread:

Any way to disable greying-out of unselected marks?

• 3. Re: Disabling Highlighting
              Jeff Labenek

Thanks for the suggestion Joe - I have attached a dummy workbook as a reference. I deselected the workbook highlight in the GL Preview worksheet, however when I select an individual bar it still highlights in dark blue and grey's out the other bars.

• 4. Re: Disabling Highlighting
                Joe Oppelt

Jeff -- I misunderstood your original question.  What I recommended was for turning off legend highlighting.  That is to say, if you have legend highlighting turned on, your user could click the blue box in the color legend (or a shape in a shape legend, or a size in a size legend) and all the marks on the sheet for the selected item would get highlighted.  I showed how to turn that off.

In the attached I implemented what was discussed in the link that Swaroop posted.  For the GL sheet I created a bogus calc.  (I called it [Blank], but I actually put a value of "a" in it so that I could see a value when I moved it around as I played with this.)

In the end, I placed [Blank] on the details shelf.  Essentially this compartmentalizes your marks by that dimension, but since the dimension is a constant, no actual compartmentalization occurs.  But every bar has "a" in it.  (You can just take it out of the tooltips, and this sheet's visualization is identical to before.)  But then I turned on highlighting for [Blank] as shown in this screen shot:

Now when you click a mark that has [Blank] in it, all marks with [Blank] get highlighted.  Technically it's the opposite of turning off highlighting.  It's highlighting everything, which effectively looks like nothing is happening.

See attached.

I never played with this before, so it was a learning experience for both of us.