2 Replies Latest reply on Nov 7, 2018 3:00 PM by Dylan McAfee

How to create a descriptive table of dimensions?

Dylan McAfee

Hello all,

I'm trying to construct a table that would have multiple dimensions listed and counts of their corresponding values all in one set. Essentially a univariate descriptive statistics table for categorical variables you might find in a journal. An example of this would be the fields and column N of Table 2 (Page 200) in this journal article: http://www.dtic.mil/dtic/tr/fulltext/u2/a263399.pdf

The output I am hoping to achieve would look something like this, possibly adding percentages. Age Group, ***, and Race/Ethnicity are dimensions in this example:

DimensionsValuesCounts
      Age Group
      0-2550
      26-6475
      65+19
      Subtotal 140
      Female100
      Male44
      Subtotal 140
      Race/Ethnicity
      NH White20
      NH Black50
      Hispanic40
      Asian20
      Other10
      Subtotal 140
      Grand Total 140

Can anyone walk me through this process or point me to a resource that addresses this. I have done a lot of searching (and maybe not for the right terms) and I can't seem to find anything.

Thank you in advance!

• 1. Re: How to create a descriptive table of dimensions?
          Don Wise

Hi Dylan,

This could be done using a combination of individual worksheets, then combined into final product of a Dashboard, like so (and attached 2018.3 workbook). If this is helpful please mark as such or if correct mark as correct. Thx! Don

Example worksheet for Age Group:

Screen Shot 2018-11-07 at 2.41.53 PM.png

Example Worksheet for **** :

Screen Shot 2018-11-07 at 2.42.00 PM.png

Example Worksheet for Race/Ethnicity:

Screen Shot 2018-11-07 at 2.42.07 PM.png

Example Grand Total:

Screen Shot 2018-11-07 at 2.42.15 PM.png

Example Dashboard combining all of the preceding worksheets into one view:

Screen Shot 2018-11-07 at 2.42.23 PM.png

End-user would see this version though or something similar as constructed:

Screen Shot 2018-11-07 at 2.41.04 PM.png

• 2. Re: How to create a descriptive table of dimensions?
            Dylan McAfee

Hi Don,

Thank you for the response. I should have mentioned that I had tried dropping multiple individual sheets into a dashboard, sorry about that. The reason I am hoping to do this in a single sheet is because I will often have many dimensions I would like to quickly review and provide to others, so this is fine for a few variables, but to do this for 50, or adding in more dimensions to stratify gets hairy and time consuming quickly. I am hoping for a solution that is similar to using Measure Names and Measure Values to create a summary table for continuous variables. Thanks again.