5 Replies Latest reply on Nov 5, 2018 11:32 AM by Matt Coles Branched from an earlier discussion.

Need help understanding Vizalerts behavior

Santhosh Sekar

Dear Toby/Matt,

Can you guys help me to understand the below,

1. Did the vizalerts.exe calls the vizalerts.py to execute the operations successfully? Because, I never installed python so wondering how it execute vizalerts.py.

2. By default, im getting VizAlertsConfig.twb also to my mail address. See below vizalerts.state file which has 2 entries. One is valid alert subscribed and other which denoted as -32 subscriptionID resembles Vizalertsconfig workgroup.

Please help to address the above concerns.

Thanks.

• 1. Re: Need help understanding Vizalerts behavior
          Santhosh Sekar

Missed to add the screenshot of vizalerts.state file,

• 2. Re: Need help understanding Vizalerts behavior
            Santhosh Sekar

Hi Toby,

Please see above for state file.

Thanks

• 3. Re: Need help understanding Vizalerts behavior
              Matt Coles

Branching to a new discussion--please post new questions as new topics, Santhosh.

1. The exe does not call vizalerts.py. Vizalerts.py and the other code is compiled into a binary executable. You can run VizAlerts with the exe or with Python. Either way is fine, it's the same code. Stick with the EXE if that's working for you. Python is better if you don't trust me and want to inspect all the code that runs in your environment. Or if you need to implement a quick fix, or extend the code.

2. Negative subscription Ids are actually ad-hoc "test_alert" comment Ids. The negative value is just trickery I'm using to avoid overlapping with a true Subscription ID. The comments only generate a single alert, then expire (the comment remains, but does not continue triggering the alert--you can delete it at your leisure).

I'm not sure what issue you're having with the emails going out--if you have questions beyond what I explained with the two points above, could you clarify more what behavior you are expecting?

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Need help understanding Vizalerts behavior
                Santhosh Sekar

Definitely Matt. Ill post the new questions as new topics.

For negative subscriptions, whenever I use the "test_alert"  comment ID's, I used to get the workbook to my emailID eventhough I doesn't want that. So you are trying to say, an alert will be triggered to user for negative subscription too? whenever we use test_alert as comment ID?

• 5. Re: Need help understanding Vizalerts behavior
                  Matt Coles

Entering the comment "test_alert" will do one thing, and one thing only: Tell VizAlerts, upon its next execution, to immediately execute the viz you commented on as an alert, one time.

The behavior you see from there will vary depending on how you built your alert. If you literally did no setup on your viz to make it behave as a VizAlert, then VizAlerts will make assumptions about what you wanted, and treat it basically just like a standard Subscription email--the To will be your own email address, the Subject will be auto-generated and generic, the Body will be an image of the viz with a link to the actual live viz on Server. As a bonus, VizAlerts will also attach the CSV of the summary data of your viz--but that's the only real difference between the email it sends, and a subscription.

If you want different behavior out of your alert, then you need to read the User Guide to understand how to get what you want out of it. Make sure you are taking the time to read through the whole thing, and do experiments as you go. If you don't do this, you will miss out on a ton of powerful functionality. If you want a quick and dirty version to get started, you can watch this short video or jump to the part of my TC18 talk where I go over how it works. There's also the demo workbook in the .demo folder that can walk you through some examples.