0 Replies Latest reply on Nov 2, 2018 9:24 AM by Cerys Heath

Live connection to a .tde on server does not refresh automatically?

Cerys Heath

I've recently started using Tableau Server, and I can't figure out how to get my data file to refresh on server, without having to republish the whole workbook.

My normal process for creating a workbook is:

1. Prepare data in Alteryx

2. Output as a .tde file

3. In Tableau Desktop, connect to the .tde as a live connection and build a workbook

I would then use Alteryx to refresh the data in the tde as often as needed and whenever I open Tableau Desktop it has the latest version of the data.

I am hoping that when I publish a workbook to Server, I can simply refresh the data file on a regular basis, without having to re-publish the workbook each time. However, I can't get this to work, even though it says the connection is 'live', when I refresh the data file, nothing changes on server.

This is how my extract appears in server (filenames hidden):

data connection.JPG

When I upload to server, I choose the options

• Data source: embedded in workbook
      • Include external files - yes

Having read this article:

Best Practices for Published Data Sources - Tableau

It seems like I might actually be in a better position if I build my workbooks on a csv or Excel file instead of a tde? Then I could set a schedule (e.g. once a day) and Tableau Server would refresh the extract. Is this really the solution - can I not get server to refresh the tde file automatically?