2 Replies Latest reply on Nov 1, 2018 1:40 PM by Ken Flerlage

New Bie to Tableau

sruthi chintalapati

Hello All,

I am a new bie to tableau. I am data analyst and I have worked with different tools like Cognos, Power BI, Silvon, Clarity, and Dev4 but lot of them are legacy systems.

I am really passionate about Tableau and wanted to move my career that way. I am confused with lot of mixed information on various sites.

I wanted to learn everything about that tool and how I can use it for the real time projects. I would also love to get certified . I am not certain about the whole process. If I can just look at the videos and practice with the data sets, would it give me enough experience to work on real time projects?

Is It a good option to get training and practice simultaneously? Is intellipaat a good training institute? Could someone please guide me and help me master tableau?

Please Help!

• 1. Re: New Bie to Tableau
          ShivaRam Chennapragada

Sruthi- Welcome! Tableau website has a vast collection of learning resources, for example free training videos, knowledge base, help site, whitepapers, forums. This should definitely help you get started with your Tableau journey.

Knowledge Base

Tableau Desktop and Web Authoring Help - Tableau

Whitepapers | Tableau Software

Some other ways to learn is to work on projects like,

Makeover Monday | A weekly social data project

Workout Wednesday

Then share it with others using,

Free Data Visualization Software | Tableau Public

Many of our Tableau Community Forum Ambassadors, Zen Masters are on Twitter or LinkedIn, following them would be beneficial as they share lot of content from which you could learn cool stuff.

Hope this helps and good luck!

Best,

Shiva.

• 2. Re: New Bie to Tableau
            Ken Flerlage

My suggestions are as follows:

1) Take a training course. This definitely helps you to get your footing. But, it doesn't have to be an in-person course. There are some fantastic online courses that are available at a relatively low cost. I personally recommend this one from Matt Francis. It's what I took when I got started: Tableau 10 for Data Scientists

2) Practice. Find opportunities to practice. Fortunately, there are lots of ways to do this. Check out the following community projects as a starting point: Makeover Monday | A weekly social data project, Workout Wednesday – #WorkoutWednesday, https://www.vizforsocialgood.com/. Or you can find interesting data and just try to visualize it.

3) Leverage Tableau Public. Tableau Public is a freely available verison of Tableau. It has a few limitations in its connectors and requires that you upload your workbooks to their public server, but otherwise, it's an amazing tool to learn Tableau and it's absolutely free.

4) Review the training course. After you've used Tableau for a few months, go back and run through the training course (# 1) again. It's a great way to fill in those little gaps in your knowledge.

5) Leverage the Community. Lots of us actively blog, so read the blogs--they have so much great content. There are also a lot of people sharing their work on Tableau Public, so get an account, follow people, and when you see something interesting, download the workbook, take it apart and figure out how it works.

6) Leverage the Forums. If you have questions, ask them--we love to help. But, also, once you have your footing, come here and help to answer other people's questions. I cannot stress enough what a great way this is to learn. It forces you to deal with lots of different problems that you won't necessarily encounter in your own work.

The key thing is to keep practicing. If you're practicing, you're learning.