3 Replies Latest reply on Oct 31, 2018 1:07 PM by Shinichiro Murakami

How to make a Sub-Category parameter to show all other Sub-Categories within Category?

John Pollard

I'm sure there's a way to do this, but I don't know what to search for to find the answer. My apologies if this has been answered before.

If we use the Superstore data as an example. I want to make a dashboard that has a parameter listing all the Sub-Categories. When a user picks a Sub-Category, I want to show info about that particular Sub-Category, but I also want to show info about other Sub-Categories within the same Category.

For example, if someone picks "Binders" as a Sub-Category, I want to show info specific to Binders and then I want to compare that to info about Envelopes, Labels, Paper, etc (ie everything under the Category "Office Supplies").

I've tried joining the data to itself on Category. This works great except that it seems to raise the number of rows in the extract exponentially. I'm starting with maybe a million rows already, so I don't want to explode that number.

Any ideas? If I just knew a keyword or concept to Google, I'd probably be able to figure out what I want to do. I'm working in Tableau 10.5 and my data is in a MS-SQL database.

Thank you!