11 Replies Latest reply on Oct 30, 2018 3:21 PM by Matt Coles

Vizalerts Installation Problems

Daniel Lawrence

Hello All,

I am excited to get VizAlerts working and using it on a daily basis to automate away all of my reporting troubles /sarcasm.

Unfortunately, I am having trouble during installation and none of the installation specfics errors pertain to me.  I am new to being a server admin so I truly hope this is not human error but hopefully it is a quick fix if that is the case.

Vizalerts installation server login issue.PNG

I have gotten to this portion where Vizalerts Config Workbook is loaded in Desktop and I need to connect to my server.

Does it make a difference that my Tableau server is run on a Microsoft Azure cloud instance?  I added the IP address of the cloud instance as a trusted IP host.  

I have triple checked that my readonly password is correct.  I have tried my domain host name with and without the preceding HTTPs://.

An error occurred while communicating with PostgreSQL.

Unable to connect to the server. Check that the server is running and that you have access privileges to the requested database.

could not connect to server: Connection timed out (0x0000274C/10060)

Is the server running on host "DOMAIN HOST NAME" (IP ADDRESS) and accepting

TCP/IP connections on port 8060?

Unable to connect to the server "DOMAIN HOST NAME". Check that the server is running and that you have access privileges to the requested database

Have I made a mistake somewhere?

Thank you for your help and insight!

• 1. Re: Vizalerts Installation Problems
          Matt Coles

Hey Daniel. Have you already run through these steps to open access up to the Tableau Server repository? Collect Data with the Tableau Server Repository - Tableau. That's the second step listed in the install guide for the Tableau Server steps, so if you haven't done that yet, it would explain the issue.

• 2. Re: Vizalerts Installation Problems
            Daniel Lawrence

Matt,

Thank you for the response.  I did go through that step and I just redoubled the effort and re-enabled the readonly user with a new password, configured, and restarted the server.  Still no luck connecting to port 8060 or 8062.   As I mentioned earlier, I am rather new to being a server admin, is there a way to check what port is opened up for pgsql.port currently?  I see from multiple sources including here that 8060 is the default port of pgsql.port but I had to do some work with Tableau support to resolve an earlier issue that displayed port exhaustion so we had to extend the range of usable ports.  I am not sure if that changed my defaults.

FYI, if it matters I am on Server 2018.1 on an Azure cloud instance. 

• 3. Re: Vizalerts Installation Problems
              Matt Coles

You're right, the port should be 8060. I doubt changing the port ranges would have affected that. But to check using the TSM command, it's:

tsm configuration get --key pgsql.port

The most probable thing might be that your requests aren't making it to the server, though. Can you ensure that you can directly ping the machine hosting PostgreSQL? Not the main URL you'd use to access Tableau Server from a browser, but the actual host name, so you're not going through a load balancer.

Another thing you can check is the log file for the PostgreSQL database, at [install folder]\data\tabsvc\logs\pgsql. If your request made it to the PostgreSQL server, and it rejected it, it will appear there.

Finally, if you've enabled SSL on the internal PostgreSQL database, you'll need to check the SSL box on your Desktop connection.

Hopefully some of that helps...

• 4. Re: Vizalerts Installation Problems
                Daniel Lawrence

Matt,

Thank you for clarifying quite a bit!

I confirmed that 8060 is still the default port for pgsql.port which is nice.  I also confirmed that I require the use Secure Socket Layers. Two down.

I checked the log file for PostgreSQL and there was only four files I could find that conformed to the time of my most recent login attempt.  It is located in the pg_stat_tmp folder and they are all STAT files.  I could not immediately read any of them and after consulting docs I did not gain much new insight.  It seems like having a new file created whenever there is a failed login attempt is enough to say that the server is reachable.

Finally, I am a little embarrassed to ask, how do I determine the actual host name of the machine hosting PostgreSQL rather than just the URL?  As I mentioned, it is a cloud instance so it probably is going through a load balancer. 

Thank you for all of your help so far!

• 5. Re: Vizalerts Installation Problems
                  Matt Coles

Go to the Status page, which shows all the hosts in your cluster. If you only have one, this is easy. If you have multiple, check the bottom row for Repository being checked. Then look to the top of the column, and that's your hostname that you want to use.

• 6. Re: Vizalerts Installation Problems
                    Daniel Lawrence

Host Name.PNG

I am not sure if that is going to be helpful.  Host name is just TableauServer.  I tried using just TableauServer, TableauServer.DOMAIN NAME, DOMAIN NAME/TableauServer, all with no success.  In fact, when I use the DOMAIN NAME, it is the only entry that is actually queried for 10-20 seconds.  Everything else immediately throws an error.

I am able to ping TableauServer but not for purposes of PostgreSQL apparently. 

TableauServer ping test.PNG

• 7. Re: Vizalerts Installation Problems
                      Toby Erkson

Try TableauServer@YourDomainName.

• 8. Re: Vizalerts Installation Problems
                        Daniel Lawrence

Toby,

Unfortunately, that did not work either. 

• 9. Re: Vizalerts Installation Problems
                          Matt Coles

Firewall stuff? Maybe you've got Windows firewall on the server that's blocking traffic to 8060? That's the only other thing I can really think of.

• 10. Re: Vizalerts Installation Problems
                            Daniel Lawrence

Nope, I checked all the firewall settings and everything Tableau is allowed through Windows Firewall. 

I checked the PostgreSQL log file again and it created another file for my most recent login attempt.  So I would assume that means my DOMAN NAME is correct, but there is something blocking the connection from being accepted.

Would tableau support be of any help on this or are they subsidiary to you Matt?

• 11. Re: Vizalerts Installation Problems
                              Matt Coles

Yes! You can definitely get their help connecting to postgreSQL, as that is supported product functionality. I would not mention VizAlerts, simply because they've been told to send those requests to this forum--it'll help avoid confusion.