1 Reply Latest reply on Oct 29, 2018 11:25 AM by Jeff Strauss Branched from an earlier discussion.

How do I add Desktop license to our Tableau Server?

sachin kumbar

Hi everyone,

I am new to this Tableau desktop license reporting service.

I have a question. Suppose I have a Tableau Desktop license "xyz" and in my environment, I have Tableau server. Where and how to add this desktop license in reporting server?
      while installation of the desktop application in the command I can give server details. but the server should hold the license right. so how it works?

• 1. Re: How do I add Desktop license to our Tableau Server?
          Jeff Strauss

Hi Sachin.  Here is my understanding of how tracking of Tableau Desktop licenses operates.

1. Enable the server to recognize / capture/ accept desktop stats.

Pre 2018.2 tabadmin set features.DesktopReporting true

2018.2 onward - use the web interface or use the CLI (Manage Tableau Desktop License Usage - Tableau ) - (i.e. tsm configuration set -k features.DesktopReporting -v true)

2. Add a registry key to each user machine that has Tableau Desktop installed.  Typically, we have our users do this as part of installing Tableau Desktop.  The important part of the install is the "REPORTINGSERVER".  What this in effect does is whenever any user opens TD, then an entry gets transmitted to Tableau Server to recognize / capture that a user is actively using Tableau Desktop.
          \\fileshare\shares\xxxxxx\Installs\Client_Installs\Tableau\TableauDesktop-64bit-10-5-3.exe /log "C:\Users\%USERNAME%\Documents\Tableau_install_logfile.txt" ACCEPTEULA=1 REPORTINGSERVER="replace with your TS entry URL"

3. The data gets captured into some desktopreporting table within the internal Postgres db.  Then there's a built-in report for admins within the admin report section of Tableau Server.

Does this answer?  The license for desktop is still stored within the desktop.  The feature described above just enables tracking of usage.