2 Replies Latest reply on Oct 29, 2018 10:26 AM by Jim Dehner

Week numbers are off for 2017

ajay.kolanupaka

Hi,

I need help with 2017 weeks, not sure why the are off by one week. For example: Week1:

January 2, 2017January 8, 2017

where as tableau is showing as week 2. We have encountered this issue on Teradata and then I have Tried with simple excel file and could reproduce the same issue.

Please let me know if anyone has same issue.

Appreciate your help!!

Regards

• 1. Re: Week numbers are off for 2017
          Don Wise

Hello Ajay,

Your date properties are set to start the week on a Monday and not on a Sunday apparently. Which is why Sunday 1/1/2017 falls into Week 1 and not into Week 2:

Screen Shot 2018-10-29 at 10.18.41 AM.png

If you change the date properties that the week starts on Sunday, then the ensuing dates fall into Week 1

Screen Shot 2018-10-29 at 10.20.42 AM.png

Hope that answers your question. If yes, please mark this response as correct. Thx! Don

PS Change your date properties in this sub-menu:

Screen Shot 2018-10-29 at 10.22.10 AM.png

• 2. Re: Week numbers are off for 2017
            Jim Dehner

Good morning AJ

In Tableau the first week of the year includes Jan 1 - if that date is mid week then Week 1 will include the end of dec and the first of jan

your formula said you wanted the weeks to begin on Monday which puts Jan 1 (sunday) in the previous week

you can subtract 1 from you datepart formula to make the adjustment

Jim

If this posts assists in resolving the question, please mark it helpful or as the 'correct answer' if it resolves the question. This will help other users find the same answer/resolution.  Thank you.